Currently reading:
"Fein" multi tool?

Discuss "Fein" multi tool? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Went to a woodwork show today and again thought about buying one of these tools? i have yet to hear a bad word about them. Bosch now do a convertor so you can use their cheaper blades etc (all made in same factory !)

With a depth plunge gauge etc they are ideal i think for taking up floorboards without having to mess about with bars and a circ saw etc

also for chopping out plaster board for boxes etc

what do you think of them?

Also had a long play with Festool drills

must admit i was not that impressed with them. the accessories etc are great . i love the offset driver etc . But the quality of power from the drills was not amazing

Marvellous bits of kit - if I had some spare moolah, I'd have one. Used them quite a lot, just got to be careful when cutting through timber (like OSB) that you don't end up burning it!

I sawanother thread about multi-tools a while back and I've been to several of my local tool suppliers but nobody stocks them near me. Are they new on the market??

i think they have been around for a while now tbh. seen some cheap ones on ebay if you can get them to post out to you

I've got one of the cheaper models (thanks to phil) and it is astonishingly good! I can only think that the Fein and Bosch are even better, but OI can't think how they could be! I would recommend it to anyone for domestic work, but maybe start out on a cheaper model to see if you would use it

i think they have been around for a while now tbh. seen some cheap ones on ebay if you can get them to post out to you
Thanks Phil. I'm a bit of an E-Bay virgin. We also have a different PayPal system, it's hellish expensive to use, the fees are high, and I get nailed for Foreign exchange fees etc not to mention shipping and import taxes. Also Paypal doesn't have the same protection and guarantees here. I bought a Kindle from Amazon before Christmas, the Kindle was great but with all the costs it was about double what I would have paid for it in Europe so I'm a bit hesitant to get my pants pulled down again.

little help required how do i post a new question ?lol

Go to the main index page here http://www.electriciansforums.net/ then pick an appropriate section (maybe the General Electrical Forum) then click the 'Post New Thread' button and write your question in the text box. When you're done click 'Submit New Thread'. Your question should appear immediately (assuming your account has no mod restrictions). Then just wait a while for the avalanche of good advice to appear in your new thread.

These multi tools do save a lot of time, the only downside is you have to keep a good stock of blades as they don't like making contact with nails, brick etc.

The cost of the blades however is far outweighed by the time saved in taking boards up/cutting plasterboard plus also in the amount of remedial work needed to make good after.

I have the bosch 240 and have absolutely no complaints.

Haven't considered one of these until saw tool demonstrated at ELEX show on Thursday. Never bought one there and then as I wanted to price other makes but this type of tool is now top of my list to get !

I got the dremel multi tool in B&Q for a tenner. Plus the worstation for it a tenner as well. Both should have came to £100 I am well impressed with it. £20 well spent!

yes i have a fein was reluctant at first but wouldnt be without it now sanding and cutting use it all the time one of the best pieces of kit ive bought blades from ebay not bad either

I have an early Bosch 240v 180W one, brilliant bit of kit. They now do a Bosch 'blue' version 250W.
Avoid the Bosch battery one (Li-Ion 10.8v), have heard that the batts die after cutting a couple of floorboards.

Cheers,
Lofty

I've got the multimaster too great bit of kit, though currently i;m being a tight git and not buying any new blades, so making do with the blunt ones lol. As for Festool they do have great products but they are more 2nd fix workshop tools if you want a more rugged version and still want the versatility go for the sister company Protool same accessories etc best drill I have ever bought the power is incredible even from the 12v.Have a chat with warren at Bunnies bolts who are the sole UK importer at the moment.

I own a Fein multimaster and although it doesn't get used too often, I would never part with it. It really can get you out of a sticky situation. I used to own a Bosch 10.8v cordless version but got fed up with recharging all the time.
I also recently bought a 10.8 Festool CXS and it is rubbish. I bought it mainly for the angle driver attachment which does the job, but whenever I try to drive 5.0x50mm screws into wood (even softwood) it just keeps cutting out ( It has a safety feature to protect the motor ), when I bought it I had seen a video on you tube where it was driving a large auger bit through wood with no problems but there is no way mine would do that.

I own a Fein multimaster and although it doesn't get used too often, I would never part with it. It really can get you out of a sticky situation. I used to own a Bosch 10.8v cordless version but got fed up with recharging all the time.
I also recently bought a 10.8 Festool CXS and it is rubbish. I bought it mainly for the angle driver attachment which does the job, but whenever I try to drive 5.0x50mm screws into wood (even softwood) it just keeps cutting out ( It has a safety feature to protect the motor ), when I bought it I had seen a video on you tube where it was driving a large auger bit through wood with no problems but there is no way mine would do that.

I think i upset the Festool guy. He passed me a 18v with a new Auger and told me to have a go into some Beech . the thing was PATHETIC. people watching me looked horrified . they also claim "Impact" drivers are not necessary etc !

they are losing the plot a fraction

I looked at the Bosch multi tool but it does not have a quick release YET..... they are now legally allowed to fit a quick release as the Fein patent has expired. so expect some good deals on what will be "the old model"

Last edited:
Auger bits they wreck even the best drill:eek:. I only ever use them with my 36v or corded when I'm desperate, It's irwin or forstner bits far less strain put on the motors :). Still stand by Festool overpriced admittedly. I almost bought that new 10.8v Esk but couldn't justify it:(

[video=youtube;UU58Pqvw9ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU58Pqvw9ws&feature=related[/video]

Reply to "Fein" multi tool? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock