Search the forum,

Discuss fire alarm in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

connordev

Hey all.
I recently 2nd fixed a conventional fire alarm system. I wouldnt be that familiar with them to be honest. It all worked fine anyway, apart from the last sounder on the 2nd zone. I have my EOL resister in the circuit and the panel is not showing any faults. The sounder is "ringing" very low when tested. I`ve changed it twice now and it is doing exactly the same thing. Can anyone shed any light?

set the panel into "fire", measure the volts across the + and - at the sounder. you should get 24v. if not, then there is a poor connection before the sounder or you are trying to pull too much from the panel. if you have 24v " on alarm, the it's the sounder. some have dip switches for different tones. take sounder off and put 24v across it from the panel batteries and see if it sounds right then.

or, perish the thought. you have connected the sounder incorrectly.

some have a volume pot that can be adjusted but this is not normally touched, as mentioned above there are also dip switches or jumpers on some sounders but again if supplied as a new kit shouldnt need to be touched

Hey all.
I recently 2nd fixed a conventional fire alarm system. I wouldnt be that familiar with them to be honest. It all worked fine anyway, apart from the last sounder on the 2nd zone. I have my EOL resister in the circuit and the panel is not showing any faults. The sounder is "ringing" very low when tested. I`ve changed it twice now and it is doing exactly the same thing. Can anyone shed any light?

Number of possible reasons.....

How many sounders do you have on the circuit - volt drop is the most likely reason for low sounder output, as it's usually proportional to input.

On which note, how much current are you drawing from the panel in alarm in total - is it within the allowance the panel gives - you'd be surprised how many times we get called out to other jobs only to find that there's a million and one devices on the system, all trying to run from a barely 1.5A supply on the panel - which is also trying to feed the panel.

Another possible cause is damage on the cable between the second to last and last sounder on that zone - contributing to increased resistance/voltage drop - which may not show up on many cheaper conventional panels as they have quite wide tolerances for end of line value.

Final point - some electronic sounders can use more current when set to certain tones than when set to others (not just between normal and loud settings).

Reply to fire alarm in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock