Discuss Cable for fire door magnets in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm installing mag-locks and fire door hold-open magnets at the moment and I'm wondering if any of the cable should be fire performance cable?

As I understand it the actual cable from the PSU to the magnets (24V system) doesn't need to be as if it's damaged by fire then it just cause the doors to shut anyway.

But does the cable from the fire alarm interface to the PSU which triggers the release of all doors if the alarm goes off need to be fire performance cable? And if so does it need to be red?

In the past I've always had the interface next to the PSU so it has made no practical difference but on this one I've got multiple PSUs to link to the one interface.

red is the preferred colour.
however white is recognised as an alternative.

I would think about it and decide that any piece of cable or equipment that failed should close the doors and therefore be fail safe.

if the output from the fire panel goes high when fire is detected, then yes, the cable from there to the relay box, and the relay box itself should have sufficient protection from fire.

if the output from the fire panel is held high to say "no fire" and this holds the relay closed then the system is fail safe without any additional protection.
In my opinion.

Reply to Cable for fire door magnets in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi looking for some help on magnet door holder Have a door in a hotel that requires to be held back on wall with magnet and released on fire...
Replies
Views
Hope you're all well . I've had ring door bell 2nd generation hardwired for 1.5 yrs... it was connected to transformer which is connected to the...
Replies
Views
I'm starting a new project on Monday, new dental practice conversion from a shop. Nothing new here, customer doesn't know what electrical heating...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Currently wiring 3 new flats and have questions about the door access. Theres one main door to the flats which will have an intercom...
Replies
Views
Next week I'm starting to build a few built-in wardrobes for the bedrooms and I've hit a brick wall on the lightning element. Normally I run 1.5mm...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock