Currently reading:
FIRESENSE/ALARMSENSE fire alarm system maintenence

Discuss FIRESENSE/ALARMSENSE fire alarm system maintenence in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mikex79

Hi does anyone know FIRESENSE fire alarm pannel (the 4-12 zone one model Alarmsense Panels ) I need to maintain the system operating on this pannel. The system seems to be fit long time ago and hasn't been maintained for years and no records or loog book is available withe. The pannel itself is working but does anybody know if the battery needs to be replaced let's say after 5 or 10 years?
Anothe question is doest the Ionisation smoke detectors needs to be replaced after some period of time and how to test them, everything is covered with dirt and dust so i do not have idea how to test it i got a spray to do so but i have not tried it yet. also there are a few heat detectors how do i test them? If it comes to worst and all detectors need to be replaced would the pannel work with apollo series 65 ionisation smoke detectors and heat detectors?
If i make the system going what electrical test are there to be done to certify it? do you need any special qualification to sign it off or just need to ba a uk qualified electrician?
thanks for any help

Sorry to say but if you are asking these sorts of questions you really shouldnt be working on the system get yourself a copy of BS5839:1 2002 read, read and re-read then get on some FIA courses.

Remember this is a life safety system see here for the risks envolved if something goes wrong and it does happen Industry News

Sorry to say but if you are asking these sorts of questions you really shouldnt be working on the system get yourself a copy of BS5839:1 2002 read, read and re-read then get on some FIA courses.

Remember this is a life safety system see here for the risks envolved if something goes wrong and it does happen Industry News
thanks for your reply, I tried to get some info earlier in my previous posts but I did not get any clear answer about the qualification that you need.
I have had a look at their website and what is the must that you need to do to become a qualified installer, commisioner/tester, certifier for commercial and domestic purposes?
I am a qualified electrician already and I would like to go for fire alarms as well

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not legally need any qualifications to work on fire alarms BUT the british standard says you must be comptent which if you look up there definition it would be a minium of the FIA fire alarm courses FIA Training Courses

Again though if anything went to court your experience would come into account. Might be worth doing the courses then trying to get some subby work with a FA company.

Hope this helps.

Adam
CFS Fire & Security

You do not legally need any qualifications to work on fire alarms BUT the british standard says you must be comptent which if you look up there definition it would be a minium of the FIA fire alarm courses FIA Training Courses

Again though if anything went to court your experience would come into account. Might be worth doing the courses then trying to get some subby work with a FA company.

Hope this helps.

Adam
CFS Fire & Security

all of them? do yourecomand any while the other oner are less important or everything?

Really you should have Units 1, 5, 4 & 6 before doing anything on fire alarms.

For example if you only intend to maintain systems and you can test the system fine you may sign a system off but because you havent done the design course you didnt realise that the system has been cabled in trunking but not p clipped inside the trunking.

Each of the units i have mentioned are very closley linked so really you should have them all + you really need some experience which you should be able to get doing subbie work on a large project where you will be mainly running cables & containment ect but taking instruction from one of the companies qualified engineers. Thats your best way to learn.

fire alarm testing and maintenance is a lucrative area and one that im looking at getting into, is the FIA the NICEIC of the fire alarms world? I've installed and tested a lot of systems and would like to get some qualifications in it and looking at design more as well.

Yes the FIA are for training. What you get at the end is a certificate which proves you have completed the course. Then if you belive you have enough experience you can carry out FA works.

If you would also like to get yourself or your company approved the BAFE SPF203 scheme is again the NICEIC FA version. Unlike the FIA who train you the BAFE SPF203 scheme come and check your jobs a few times a year, interview you checl your insurances ect.

Untill you start tendering for larger fire alarm jobs you wont really need to register with BAFE untill the goverment make it a legal requierment which will be coming but not for a few years.

Best thing is start with a copy of BS5839:1 2002 and start reading the courses would be very heavy if you havnt got a clue but a few reads of 5839 will give you enough to start.

Do you currently offer 24hour call out? BS5839 requiers it if you are maintaing fire alarms. The reason being if a client has a fault on there system if you dont offer 24hour call out they could be left without a fire alarm overnight. Again though this is all covered in the courses.

Reply to FIRESENSE/ALARMSENSE fire alarm system maintenence in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock