Currently reading:
Fitting a Power Meter to a CU Part 1

Discuss Fitting a Power Meter to a CU Part 1 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JS118m

DIY
Reaction score
So that I can understand how the electrical energy that I consume is being used I want to fit one of these to my consumer unit (CU) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/EMPORIA-EN...37ML2R/ref=psdc_1938287031_t1_B00G5DZK8I?th=1 The power meter appears to be primarily produced for the USA market and its standards.

The CU is a Crabtree Starbreaker image attached/here - PXL_20211105_203526416.jpg - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkQ39xZI1R4EkuBZw6HDW1Rud6QLbg?e=WMsdcU

The device is designed to be installed inside the consumer unit but there may be insufficient space for this so I have two sets of questions one for internal and external fitment. Other considerations i) the installation will be isolated prior to any work inside the CU using the isolator in the meter box, ii) my understanding is that this work isn’t notifiable as there are no new circuits and it doesn’t involve ‘Any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location’.

Internal Fitment

Is it acceptable to install such a device in the CU?

The wifi aerial may need to be fitted external to the CU, options i) mounted in a hole drilled in the CU case or ii) externally mounted to the adjacent wall with the aerial cable exiting the case via a hole/gland – are these options acceptable?

External Fitment

In this situation I would propose to bring the CT clamp leads out of the CU and mount the control box adjacent to the CU. In this situation is it necessary/appropriate to mount the control box in an enclosure? Part of the reason for this question is that the manufacturer supplied power lead appears to be single insulated which wouldn’t be acceptable without additional protection (conduit/enclosure etc).

The CT clamp lead/control box connections are 90 degrees which may make it tricky to pass 16 of them through a gland or conduit. For the gland situation I’d thought of cutting a slot lengthways to allow the cable to pass into the gland opening, is this acceptable are there any alternative options?

Power Supply

The power can be taken from an existing breaker for internal or external fitment – is this acceptable?

Fitting another breaker to provide a dedicated supply is another option but this method would I believe make this part of the work notifiable – is my understanding correct?

Many thanks
PXL_20211105_203526416.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Crikey, lots of stuff going on in those CUs!
Looking at the pic of the second CU, in post #10, directly above the 3rd and 4th breaker there seems to be a bit of exposed copper hanging about?

Reply to Fitting a Power Meter to a CU Part 1 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock