Discuss fixing heights domestic in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

fair point and yes I wasn't thinking of online units.............i am however thinking of another cider and I'd be happy to buy you one spankey
for having intimated your lazy.

It depends on the fan doesnt it, if its a standard ceiling fan it goes above door, if its an inline fan it usually goes local to it unless customer wants it above door. Im happy with either

Hi 2nd attempt writing this! As some of know wiring new house for family member. After great discussion / debate on another thread re those damn extractor fans with timers etc. I've decided to go with wall mounted 1g light switch outside each en suite (customers request as doesn't like pull switches) and the 3 pole isolation switch at low level 450mm as opposed to high level or above the door. Will that comply with BS7671 Regs? I'm going to use a fan whereby the manufacture will not insist on a 3amp fuse.
I'd already chopped in a deep box for a shaver point in 1 en suite at face height when the penny dropped that I had in fact installed it too high. I have now installed it at no higher than 1200mm. I take it height restrictions includes shaver points also.
Now for wall mounted TV points. Many wall mounted TV points to be installed, like a damn hotel! I've installed the boxes so as no higher than 1200mm. I would like to mount them a bit higher really so as to hide the boxes behind the wall mounted TV when installed. Your thoughts,experience appreciated.
What are you planning on fitting if no timers out of interest?
That will be an eye sore, better to wire the bathrooms so the triple poles can be positioned elsewhere if thats the case

haven't you got a regs book?
Ridiculous, the cables will show unless you fit the tvs at 4 ft from the floor, why does the socket and tv points need to be fitted at that height then?

If it's inline I still put ISO above door. I put 3A DP FCU next to fan in loft....best of both worlds. Fuse in dual box above door if wall mounted. Coz we all know how annoying it is when fan's running an ya wanna sleep!

Regarding the TVs, a single socket at 6ft unswitched fed from a switch spur at a level between 450-1200 would be fine, as mentioned earlier it is all about Design.

MDJ thanks for reply. My concerns about TV points came about on my own house with building inspector when I did an extension. He inspected first fix before dot dab plaster board installed and was amazed to see metal capping used through out. Anyhow he pulled me up because i had installed TV skt too high. I said I would put a sw /spur point at low level to switch skt on/off. Possible building inspector was wrong to say that, but I had go with his thoughts as i didn't know otherwise. I am an electrician but been out of the game for many yrs but recently taking a keen interest in the trade again. Hence not up to date with many regs, especially building regs.
Looking at others houses though, I'vr noticed many electricians putting skts bhind Tv's but no higher than 1200mm

Surely before doing a job you find all the relevant regs that it needs to comply with, purchase the relevant literature too (BS7671, OSG and the Electricians guide to the building regs) as minimum?

What is people's problem with putting a fan isolator in the loft?
If an inline fan is in the loft then there should be an isolator next to it. It is the same as any other fixed equipment in this respect, an isolator should be installed locally.
Personally I fit either a rock rose or a click 'flow' type connector next to inline fans so that they can be easily removed for replacement or whatever.

MDJ thanks for reply. My concerns about TV points came about on my own house with building inspector when I did an extension. He inspected first fix before dot dab plaster board installed and was amazed to see metal capping used through out. Anyhow he pulled me up because i had installed TV skt too high. I said I would put a sw /spur point at low level to switch skt on/off. Possible building inspector was wrong to say that, but I had go with his thoughts as i didn't know otherwise. I am an electrician but been out of the game for many yrs but recently taking a keen interest in the trade again. Hence not up to date with many regs, especially building regs.
Looking at others houses though, I'vr noticed many electricians putting skts bhind Tv's but no higher than 1200mm
Okay Understand, I know some building inspectors are total Numpties, When I had my loft converted years ago when part p first came out he wanted a part p certificate and wouldn't accept an NICEIC EIC from me lol, so I get your point.

What is people's problem with putting a fan isolator in the loft?
If an inline fan is in the loft then there should be an isolator next to it. It is the same as any other fixed equipment in this respect, an isolator should be installed locally.
Personally I fit either a rock rose or a click 'flow' type connector next to inline fans so that they can be easily removed for replacement or whatever.
Same here mate, easy for taking away and cleaning, just unplug and remove in seconds and seconds to re-fit, it should be something all good sparks do.

Reply to fixing heights domestic in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net