Discuss fixing heights domestic in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This is gonna go on forever..... mate get some books and have a read like we have to, im not having a dig by the way!!!!! But this is all basic stuff
reading at the mo..building regs, but like BE7671 you read one sentence then another which contradicts the first sentence.

YES ,basic stuff if you do it day in day out in the domestic market. i agree 100%

Part M is only guidance, yes it should be followed for general usage socket outlets and all light switches, however it is fine to deviate if there is a specific reason. I have installed sockets, data points, coax plates all above 1200mm if this has been on the design. Think of wall mounted TVs in domestic situations. Commercial situations also have TVs at high level, also specific equipment required to be at high level, wireless nurse call systems just for an example. Common sense prevails in these sorts of situations and too many people lack it unfortunately now all because a guide says something different. Fan isolators are only for maintenance and are only used by someone to clean/maintain the unit, hence many are over a door as I wouldn't expect a disabled person to be maintaining as they would not be able to get access to it, this being the case, why would said person want to isolate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part M is only guidance, yes it should be followed for general usage socket outlets and all light switches, however it is fine to deviate if there is a specific reason. I have installed sockets, data points, coax plates all above 1200mm if this has been on the design. Think of wall mounted TVs in domestic situations. Commercial situations also have TVs at high level, also specific equipment required to be at high level, wireless nurse call systems just for an example. Common sense prevails in these sorts of situations and too many people lack it unfortunately now all because a guide says something different. Shower isolators are only for maintenance and are only used by someone to clean/maintain the unit, hence many are over a door as I wouldn't expect a disabled person to be maintaining as they would not be able to get access to it, this being the case, why would said person want to isolate it.

i'll disagree with you on that 1 point. the isolator is also to isolate in case of a fault, and so should be accessible to any customer.

I agree on that point, I had actually not typed it correct and actually meant fan isolator. Shower isolators I always install accessible.

The protective device is there to isolate in the case of a fault, it even does it automatically. Bearing in mind the word fault has a pretty specific meaning in this world.

As far as part M and the building inspectors goes it is like any regulations and the inspectors for those regulations. If you speak to them before you start and get them on-side you will get away with a lot more than if you wait until they have pulled you up on something to start trying to defend yourself.

I've heard of getting your boiler serviced, never heard of getting an extract fan serviced. I thought that involved a vacuum cleaner once in a blue moon.

Regarding heights, we don't fit the likes of room stats between 450 and 1200 so why should TV sockets or Fan Isolators be any different.

And if anyone has to work at the fan, and its an inline fan in the loft...pretty damn sure they will see the isolator beside it.

To me Fan Isolators are to turn it off if its too noisy at night time. Yes it defeats the purpose of it, but a Fan Isolator can't be locked off so if one needs to replace it or work at it we would hardly rely on that

I've heard of getting your boiler serviced, never heard of getting an extract fan serviced. I thought that involved a vacuum cleaner once in a blue moon.

Regarding heights, we don't fit the likes of room stats between 450 and 1200 so why should TV sockets or Fan Isolators be any different.

And if anyone has to work at the fan, and its an inline fan in the loft...pretty damn sure they will see the isolator beside it.

To me Fan Isolators are to turn it off if its too noisy at night time. Yes it defeats the purpose of it, but a Fan Isolator can't be locked off so if one needs to replace it or work at it we would hardly rely on that

or kitchen sockets, would be useless in a kitchen 1200 off the floor.

thats the reason I don't like new builds, I think the heights all too low

I thought you could lock off the isolation switch for fans. Plastic bar clips across switch

Reply to fixing heights domestic in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net