Discuss Float switch wire volt drop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals.

a job that has got me second guessing my calculations. I have been asked to fot a float switch to a pump not a problem but the distance is 525m. Now there is no load on the float switch as i will be using a contactor to switch the pump Locally. So can i use a small 1.5mm 2c swa. I see no reason not as there is no load to take into account.
with the cable being so long it affects the price alot should it require a larger cable.
Thanks

I assume it controls the contactor so there must be load on it and wouldn't you double the distance to there and back.

Hi guys and gals.

a job that has got me second guessing my calculations. I have been asked to fot a float switch to a pump not a problem but the distance is 525m. Now there is no load on the float switch as i will be using a contactor to switch the pump Locally. So can i use a small 1.5mm 2c swa. I see no reason not as there is no load to take into account.
with the cable being so long it affects the price alot should it require a larger cable.
Thanks
What are your calculations

you need to determine the load of the contacor coil, then work out the VD for the cable selected. if within limits, OK, if not, select a bigger cable.

What's the purpose of the pump and float switch, why is the float so far away.?

The only thing I can think of is Spring water into a tank, then a pump in a house / building 500mtrs away controlled by the float switch, sounds like farmers idea, just run me a cable 500mtrs over there..

Last edited:
What's the purpose of the pump and float switch, why is the float so far away.?

The only thing I can think of is Spring water into a tank, then a pump in a house / building 500mtrs away controlled by the float switch, sounds like farmers idea, just run me a cable 500mtrs over there..
How about a solid state relay to switch the contactor,think they only draw milliamps?
S

so just say a 32A contactor with a 230v ac coil uses about 7va,
7/230=0.03A
according to the data sheet for a shneider contactor, voltage limits for coil are 0.8 to 1.1 x nominal
therefore for stable operation the minimum return voltage to the coil should be 230*0.8=184v

this is not a distribution or lighting circuit so volt drop is calculated on component ratings as you are designing the control system.
assuming the nominal voltage is 230v you can deal with up to 46v dropped along the length of the cable.
mV/A/m for swa 1.5 2 core is 29
or for a 0.03A load that would be a drop of 0.87mV/m
max cable length for a 46v drop would be 52.8Km

i think you should be ok at 500m in my humble opinion.

You would need to know the manufacturers voltage tolerance. To me the distance to calculate is 1050m not 525m.

volt drop in the tables is already working on the assumption of a flow and return leg, at least that is what i have always assumed.
i.e. on a single phase supply cable voltage at origin is 230v
voltage at appliance may be 220v after volt drop
this is 5v dropped along the line conductor and 5v dropped along the N conductor.
i.e. in theory you should be able to measure 5v between N and E at the current using device end of the cable.

Good practice would be to allow for coil volts to be in the 0.8-1.1 range with the mains at its limits, reducing the available drop in the cable to around 10%, less if there is significant drop in the circuit feeding the control unit. Obviously still OK by miles using 230V, but if you wanted a lower voltage control circuit, 48V works well for a typical 7VA coil (4.6% VD) but 24V does not (19% VD). A small relay with 1-2VA coil power would be OK at 24V though.

BTW I suspect the 29mV/A/m VD figure is at 70°, so it's very slightly pessimistic as the cable will never dissipate measurable heat.

I try to get the facts right at least. Any literary value in the posts is a bonus and probably accidental. Think monkeys / typewriters / Shakespeare, but with techy monkeys.

Thanks @James and others.

yes @snowhead your not far off. Its a tank fed of a stream, to be pumped to a holding tank for cattle/sheep drinkers. Bore hole pump being used as head is 70M ish and 500M length of pipe. Pump has been trialed manually on an extension lead took around 7 minuets to reach the head and about 210L of water in pipe.
Im happy with 1.5 swa 2core not 3 as earth not required to float switch and zs wouldn't comply even with 3rd core so is rcd protected.

Hi - over that distance I would also look at a radio solution perhaps? Here‘s a link to one that might work, tx and rx modules would be required but should still be half the swa cost.

Agree that 2-core SWA is a simple and adequate solution. Supply can be protected by something small as well, even a 1A or 0.5A C-curve MCB (Hager make them, probably several others) or similar fuse if you want to be sure you meets ADS as well as RCD protection. I don't think you will easily get a RCBO below 6A though, and ideas?

Personally if budget provides for it I would go wired as more likely to be reliable than a battery/solar panel wireless set up. Providing the cable is safely buried of course!

Personally I would use SELV to the float switch, a little 24V transformer and a relay operating the contactor. It will be much more tolerant of moisture ingress at the float switch and any repair joints that have to be made, it avoids the 5-10mA leakage that will occur through the cable capacitance at 230V (guesstimate figure, I don't have data for SWA capacitance to hand) no electrical wear on the float switch, etc. You can fuse the thing at 500mA or whatever but nothing harmful would occur with any kind of cable damage, just the pump running or not running. You could even pick up the severed ends and twist them together while live (that's not a recommendation).

On the subject of abnormal operation, one might build in a watchdog timer that stops the pump and lights the alarm beacon on the control box if it runs for an excessive time. E.g. twice the time it normally takes to fill the tank completely. This would detect a variety of possible mishaps and prevent them escalating, e.g. leaking tank or pipe, stuck float switch, clogged pickup strainer.

Last edited:

Reply to Float switch wire volt drop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock