Currently reading:
For new sparks who change dist boards

Discuss For new sparks who change dist boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MDJ

I have spent 2 days in total doing an EICR on these boards, I won't give away too much info in this first post, I would like you new sparks who go around peoples houses changing dist boards to let me know if you think this needs ripping out and replacing? if so what is your reasons and what questions do you think you would need to ask me before making your decision?

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 457
  • 017.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 502
Always do an initial test on the circuits , and an inspection on the property , determine from that whats required , if its just a board change , so be it , depends what the client wants and is willing to pay for really , I always charge for the initial pre test , but offer this as a deposit for any works , don't always go down the road of a full blown EICR ,unless the client wants it, but all the testing has to be done first before committing yourself ,,,

I'm the opposite with old age now. I only do a change once Ive done an EICR, was starting to find (especially with the old 3036's) that my pre-inspection was effectively becoming a full blown EICR (or PIR as was )! Plus once Ive done the full EICR the board change is a doddle, just the physical change over of boards -- once any EICR 'faults' had been rectified of course!

Overboard I know, I'm a bit old school and just like to know when my name goes on a bit of 'electrical' paper I'm as 100% confident as I can be that the property is compliant/safe in every respect. I hate caveating paperwork that this has only been done, this and that have been excluded -- bit like the visual report -- I dont want to go there!

But horses for courses, you do what you feel capable and confident with ....

Its definitely the case that the more and more you do of these and see different issues ,the more your looking for the not so obvious ones and bodges to look out for , improves your fault finding skills no end …..

Thats the problem, the add-on bloges, DIY fixes, corner cutting jobs etc ....... mean your initial inspection becomes a full inspections as you start following things thro and trying to trace what is what! My radar always starts twitching when I see 3 wires coming out of the 30A fuse .....

Nice thread MDJ...

Wish there had been more input from 5wws.

My tuppence worth - If the IR readings are low enough to be a concern (30-40 yr install), I would recommend (strongly) CU change (RCD defense against further degradation)...
If IR ok then I may outline the benefits of CU renewal but certainly not scaremonger.

If the IR readings were bad I would have recommended rewiring them fella, and cheers yeah I thought this thread would give a few guys here something to think about and debate.

Reply to For new sparks who change dist boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock