Discuss Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

We have this thread on TilersForums.com and it's just been restarted because the old thread had 20,000 replies and 500,000 views. And there were 700 pages. Started to lag a bit on slow connections.

I think we had a bash of this before, but I can't find the thread, so thought I'd start another one off.

If you have time in the mornings, come post in the thread before you head off to work, let us know what you've got on and what the weather is like in your area etc. Anything at all is fine. :)

Posts and likes get counted towards your total stats in this thread.

So GOOOD MORNING PEOPLE - WEATHER IS NICE TODAY IN STOKE. I'M THANKFUL IT'S FRIDAY, HAD A RUBBISH WEEK. THANK GOD IT'S OVER.

View attachment 53708

Last edited:
Getting on site, I see there was some details missing…. Like the other half of the board. Customer sent the first pic.

View attachment 93259

So RCD looks a bit black, as does the 50 and 40….
As a stop gap before Xmas, I cannibalised a new Wylex board and replaced everything on the left.

There was a dead short on the feed to the rcd…. Insulation melted through, blowing the main fuse. SP replaced a 100A with an 80 for some reason. The switch fuse supplying the Swa to here has a 100 in it.
Customer said the fuse blew when the shower was on, AND the oven… so I thought simple overload. Left shower disconnected as I didn’t have a wylex that size.
Turns out their boiler is electric… takes 12kW and is on same 50A mcb as the shower.

Will be getting a board change out of this, but after new year.

View attachment 93261

What was causing the dead short though?

It was the line feed. Was pressing against the neutral bar as it melted through.
Overheating due to 12kW boiler and 8.5kW shower on at the same time.
50A mcb welded closed, 63A rcd welded closed, 100A fuse in sw/fuse intact, but took out 80A main fuse….. three times!
They kept turning it on and blowing the fuse.

It was the line feed. Was pressing against the neutral bar as it melted through.
Overheating due to 12kW boiler and 8.5kW shower on at the same time.
50A mcb welded closed, 63A rcd welded closed, 100A fuse in sw/fuse intact, but took out 80A main fuse….. three times!
They kept turning it on and blowing the fuse.

Nice 😀

If the main switch has been closed on a dead short three times, I'd be checking that it's still breaking both poles.
Yes. Checked that before powering up.

Will change the remaining breakers plus mainswitch to M2, or change the whole lot (breakers plus box) to the wylex.
Depends how far the customer budget stretches

One for @Moley

View out the van windscreen today.

Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) 8781327B-4F24-46E8-95DF-7447EE6B2786 - EletriciansForums.net

One for @Moley

View out the van windscreen today.

View attachment 93432
A view I've had at work on many occasions.
Get a good view of the sheep in for 'lambing' when up a ladder, so, from time to time, when I spotted an ewe in distress, it was down the ladder, into the pen, and deliver a lamb or two. All part of the service.
I come from a long line of farmers, and was doing this kind of thing from the time I could walk, so no problem at all.

This morning was a busy one for me. I spent some time online looking for fuses...those things you put in plugs (or plug-tops, if you must).
This all stemmed from a Christmas present I received. Perhaps some of you got one too? It's a Pie Maker. Now, to be fair, it doesn't actually MAKE pies at all...no, YOU provide the pastry and cut it out, YOU provide the filling, YOU pre-cook the filling, YOU provide the gravy. The Pie Maker simply heats everything up, cooks the pastry and heats the filling, so eventually you get 2 very nice pies that YOU have actually made. Now, I am a HUGE fan of pies, so I decided to test it out yesterday, following a trip to Tesco where I bought some pastry, diced chicken, gravy...long story short, I made 2 pies in this gadget and frankly it worked perfectly. It's simply an easier way to cobble together a couple of pies from scratch and use leftovers too. So, all is fine. I have no doubt I will use it many more times than all the other electrical gadgets that have graced my kitchen over the years, which I have whittled down to a toastie maker and a slow cooker...
Why then my search on t'internet? Simply because I wanted to source a replacement fuse, should my Pie Assistant ever blow a fuse. Now, I'm sure many of you will have spare fuses to hand. I do some ISITEE and therefore have a supply of 3A,5A,10A fuses...and a huge surplus of 13A ones removed from items that should never have had them fitted. However, I defy anyone to source a 7.5A fuse on a Sunday when the Pie Assistant throws a hissy fit. Look, I can do the maths ok. The rating plate says 900W. OK, the heating elements cycle a few times while it simply heats the pies I have made. I'm no scientist, clearly, but this rating of 7.5A seems to fall between two stools. I'm ok with that, but as 7.5A fuses are generally only available online or at some wholesalers, surely the manufacturers of said pie assistant might have thrown in a spare fuse with the machine? Ok, some of you will laugh and say "Huh...I always have 7.5A fuses in my bag!" Well, bully for you! I thought I was doing well carrying the 3,5,10 and 13A ones, but now I will have to re-think my stock...Imagine doing ISITEE on a failed pie assistant and having to admit to the client that I have no 7.5A fuses in my bag...
What would happen if I just bunged in a 5A? Half-cooked pies?
Or fitted a 10A? Would my pies be burnt to a cinder due to too much electricity getting through?
Could I use a 13A fuse, and just stand over it til I smelt burning?
I expect many will be happy to explain the thinking behind this setup, and that's fine with me...my real complaint is that the rating is just "wrong", and if the manufacturers have done all the testing and approval, and the gadget is so "sensitive" that it needs a fuse which is not readily available, they should provide spare fuses with it, just like some manufacturers provide tools to replace deeply-seated lamp-removal tools, or disconnection tools so you can service things easily...
I know...just another Piratical rant...
As the late, great Alastair Cook said, at the end of his Letters from America broadcasts..."If you have been...thank you for listening"
I'm off to make some more pies...

Reply to Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock