Currently reading:
height for sockets

Discuss height for sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mcfcdwa

hi there i need to know if there is a regulation height for a double socket in a building re-furb and if there is a max distance to run a 32 amp ring main for them, thanks all

So then, sockets, MINIMUM height, 400mm or 450mm???? Depends on which book you read!

New builds: Sockets: 450mm to bottom, Switches: 1200mm to top

Existing installation, including rewire to existing properties can be installed at the same heights as the originals providing it in such a way doesn't cause any damage to flex/plug tops...... e.g Socket fitted flat to the floor

New builds: Sockets: 450mm to bottom, Switches: 1200mm to top

Existing installation, including rewire to existing properties can be installed at the same heights as the originals providing it in such a way doesn't cause any damage to flex/plug tops...... e.g Socket fitted flat to the floor

I was recently asked to quote on a rewire, the original wiring had sockets at various heights, now the above wouldnt apply surely in this instance, as how could you walk away from a job that you've just rewired, that has sockets in the same room with varrying heights, i mean one at 250mm then one at 400mm den another at 200mm surely in situaions as such we should all be bringing the new sockets to a standard height of 450mm or would that be asking for too much.

I was recently asked to quote on a rewire, the original wiring had sockets at various heights, now the above wouldnt apply surely in this instance, as how could you walk away from a job that you've just rewired, that has sockets in the same room with varrying heights, i mean one at 250mm then one at 400mm den another at 200mm surely in situaions as such we should all be bringing the new sockets to a standard height of 450mm or would that be asking for too much.

Technically doesn't matter, it's like for like

If thats what the client wants (within the price) thats what they get. If they want to pay more (possible extra chasing etc) for it to be a unified height throughout the rooms, they get that

I see what you mean. Well, you CAN do if you want but you are not required to. We can't dictate. Only as stated no worst that existing and not if plug or flex would damage under use.

I disagree with that aspect, firstly not only does it not look too pleasing asthetically but it defys the whole idea of the requirements of access for disabled individuals, so as we are all competant people we surely need to make this a point when doing rewires.

I would agree that if we are only changing, or adding to rfc then we can play with the heights but as its a complete rewire i would think that it would require adjusting accordingly.

But have you seriously met any customer who says "ooooh, yes; move the sockets up and the switches down please - I think they will look a bit odd but I want to enter the part M spirit of things".

A friend of mine had problems on a RFC, spur off spur etc No FCU's. "But the last electrician moved all our sockets up in the sitting room so we are now legal" I kid you not.

Last edited:
I disagree with that aspect, firstly not only does it not look too pleasing asthetically but it defys the whole idea of the requirements of access for disabled individuals, so as we are all competant people we surely need to make this a point when doing rewires.

I would agree that if we are only changing, or adding to rfc then we can play with the heights but as its a complete rewire i would think that it would require adjusting accordingly.

Doesn't matter read the regs

As for aesthetically pleasing thats the customers problem not yours. Its all in the quote you give them if you allow for bashing/cutting in new sockets/switches/patching up in your quote thats what they get. If you don't they get to existing

Last edited by a moderator:

The point being made here though Mad is that if its a rewire of an EXISTING installation then you dont have to site accessories in the 450-1200 band.....but as for aesthetics....then yes it would be better to have all fronts at the same height....when my boss n i undertake a rewire we site accessories within the 450-1200 band...but you dont have to as far as compliance is concerned......another thing is when survaying the job is to see if the client/s are elderly or disabled and you can suggest this to em as i would suspect that most people not electrically minded will be unaware of this.........

Its not what the customer say or doesnt say, its up to us as designers of the installtion to have pride in our work and to do that little bit extra to make sure you are happy at the end of each night.
I have read the regulations cover to cover on a number of occasions and yes it doesnt say that in the bgb and the brb but the poiint still stands that asthetically how could u walk away if on the same wall you have sockets that are at diff heights.
If there was a purpose for the socket to be heigher or lower then the rest (ie for a flat screen tv), then its understandable, but as a rule of thumb I think we ought to be asking/telling our customers to be standerising heights.

The point being made here though Mad is that if its a rewire of an EXISTING installation then you dont have to site accessories in the 450-1200 band.....but as for aesthetics....then yes it would be better to have all fronts at the same height....when my boss n i undertake a rewire we site accessories within the 450-1200 band...but you dont have to as far as compliance is concerned......another thing is when survaying the job is to see if the client/s are elderly or disabled and you can suggest this to em as i would suspect that most people not electrically minded will be unaware of this.........

At last someone understands me, lol :yesnod:

Its not what the customer say or doesnt say, its up to us as designers of the installtion to have pride in our work and to do that little bit extra to make sure you are happy at the end of each night.
I have read the regulations cover to cover on a number of occasions and yes it doesnt say that in the bgb and the brb but the poiint still stands that asthetically how could u walk away if on the same wall you have sockets that are at diff heights.
If there was a purpose for the socket to be heigher or lower then the rest (ie for a flat screen tv), then its understandable, but as a rule of thumb I think we ought to be asking/telling our customers to be standerising heights.

You're misunderstanding the concept. You're correct that we are the designers and to have pride but, you're also in the hands of the client who doesn't have to listen to your points about socket heights if it costs extra money/doesn't want it done

If you feel that strongly about it you could always turn down the work

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree fuzz, however i feel what I'm saying is still relevant, yes the customers are all different some have very deep pockets, and some have very tight purse strings, so we are in a bit of a nightmare scenario, but we have to try.

For me anyway, every rewire I have done to date I have spend extra time and effort in bringing sockets/switches to the new heights.
it has taken a bit of persuassion on the my part but when i mention what needs doing to the customer, they luckly have agreed without much hesitation.

Totally agree fuzz, however i feel what I'm saying is still relevant, yes the customers are all different some have very deep pockets, and some have very tight purse strings, so we are in a bit of a nightmare scenario, but we have to try.

For me anyway, every rewire I have done to date I have spend extra time and effort in bringing sockets/switches to the new heights.
it has taken a bit of persuassion on the my part but when i mention what needs doing to the customer, they luckly have agreed without much hesitation.
you can tell instantly who`s who..in the deep pocket situation....but as i see it..it doesn`t matter either way....the standards of work/install....together with all relevent tests and the paperwork to back it up should be consistant.......this is what gets my goat about cowboys......

Well that's what I always did.

It makes it look like a proper job done by a proper tradesman.

Reply to height for sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock