Search the forum,

Discuss height for sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mcfcdwa

hi there i need to know if there is a regulation height for a double socket in a building re-furb and if there is a max distance to run a 32 amp ring main for them, thanks all

hi there i need to know if there is a regulation height for a double socket in a building re-furb
Depends on how extensive the refurb is.

and if there is a max distance to run a 32 amp ring main for them The rule of thumb for a RFC is is to serve no more than an area of 100M squared.

thanks all

In blue.

Another thing to add, I learn about the heights of accessories before I even started my apprenticeship. My first employer told me that whilst he was looking over my shoulder during my trail period with him. Arghhhhh!

So then, sockets, MINIMUM height, 400mm or 450mm???? Depends on which book you read!

New builds: Sockets: 450mm to bottom, Switches: 1200mm to top

Existing installation, including rewire to existing properties can be installed at the same heights as the originals providing it in such a way doesn't cause any damage to flex/plug tops...... e.g Socket fitted flat to the floor

New builds: Sockets: 450mm to bottom, Switches: 1200mm to top

Existing installation, including rewire to existing properties can be installed at the same heights as the originals providing it in such a way doesn't cause any damage to flex/plug tops...... e.g Socket fitted flat to the floor

I was recently asked to quote on a rewire, the original wiring had sockets at various heights, now the above wouldnt apply surely in this instance, as how could you walk away from a job that you've just rewired, that has sockets in the same room with varrying heights, i mean one at 250mm then one at 400mm den another at 200mm surely in situaions as such we should all be bringing the new sockets to a standard height of 450mm or would that be asking for too much.

I was recently asked to quote on a rewire, the original wiring had sockets at various heights, now the above wouldnt apply surely in this instance, as how could you walk away from a job that you've just rewired, that has sockets in the same room with varrying heights, i mean one at 250mm then one at 400mm den another at 200mm surely in situaions as such we should all be bringing the new sockets to a standard height of 450mm or would that be asking for too much.

Technically doesn't matter, it's like for like

If thats what the client wants (within the price) thats what they get. If they want to pay more (possible extra chasing etc) for it to be a unified height throughout the rooms, they get that

I see what you mean. Well, you CAN do if you want but you are not required to. We can't dictate. Only as stated no worst that existing and not if plug or flex would damage under use.

I disagree with that aspect, firstly not only does it not look too pleasing asthetically but it defys the whole idea of the requirements of access for disabled individuals, so as we are all competant people we surely need to make this a point when doing rewires.

I would agree that if we are only changing, or adding to rfc then we can play with the heights but as its a complete rewire i would think that it would require adjusting accordingly.

But have you seriously met any customer who says "ooooh, yes; move the sockets up and the switches down please - I think they will look a bit odd but I want to enter the part M spirit of things".

A friend of mine had problems on a RFC, spur off spur etc No FCU's. "But the last electrician moved all our sockets up in the sitting room so we are now legal" I kid you not.

Last edited:
I disagree with that aspect, firstly not only does it not look too pleasing asthetically but it defys the whole idea of the requirements of access for disabled individuals, so as we are all competant people we surely need to make this a point when doing rewires.

I would agree that if we are only changing, or adding to rfc then we can play with the heights but as its a complete rewire i would think that it would require adjusting accordingly.

Doesn't matter read the regs

As for aesthetically pleasing thats the customers problem not yours. Its all in the quote you give them if you allow for bashing/cutting in new sockets/switches/patching up in your quote thats what they get. If you don't they get to existing

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to height for sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back