Search the forum,

Discuss High pfc readings in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bobsteroo

just installed cooker cct, rcd fuse box,earth bond main services etc. tested ze which was 0.02ohms
and the pfc reading was 12.2 ka which i thought was very high, i asked a few electricians
at wholesalers what they thought, no one has had a reading like that, i have borrowed a mates meter, tested the cable again with a similar reading. i have been back 3 more times and the reading varies from 11.6 to 12.2 ka. i have phoned united utilities and told them they said they are only concerned mainly about the ze and they are happy with 0.02 ohms.
the mains is a tncs will this be acceptable if i issue a wiring completion cert and make a note that united utillities have been informed.
i have changed the m.c.b to a 10 ka [capacity] any advice would be helpful thanks

basic ohms law here I=V/R, 230/0.02=11.5kA . or 240/0.02=12kA .... spot on

Last edited:
I've come across this quite often especially when testing close to (or even inside) the substation.
You don't have to worry too much about the Ka of the MCB as long as the main fuse is capable of breaking the fault current.
You could test the PFC at the cooker point itself to see what the fault current is likely to be if it were to short circuit.

Reply to High pfc readings in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock