Currently reading:
High Ze Value on TNS

Discuss High Ze Value on TNS in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DjSparkos

Hi all,

Could someone please advise me what the standard procedure would be if you were to get a high Ze reading of 8 Ohms. It was a TNS earthing arrangement. Main earth was upgraded to 16mm, gas and water both verified at 10mm. Im figuring that i will have to liase with the electrical supply Co.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Hi all,

Could someone please advise me what the standard procedure would be if you were to get a high Ze reading of 8 Ohms. It was a TNS earthing arrangement. Main earth was upgraded to 16mm, gas and water both verified at 10mm. Im figuring that i will have to liase with the electrical supply Co.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Temporarly you must fit 30mA or RCBO to protect all of the circuit fed from this supply as at present you have not protection against earth fault occuring in this installation.

Do not leave it as it is, sod law something will go wrong, if a fault occurs there a greater rish of fire/ electric shock.

I would contact your local supplier and took to them about up grading the supply from TN-s to TNC-S or converting it to a TT installation.

If you upgraded the CCU still get the earth changed, as present condition could get worse, you may be lucky and find they upgraded the cable in the street and it a simple case of changing the head, had it a few time in London, other wise it could cost hundreds of pounds, then the TT may be the only option.

I had this last week whilst doing a PIR, I called the SSE and they had someone round within 2 hours.
They were there untill 8pm digging the garden up. They did not leave untill they had sorted it.
When I went back next day the Ze was .29 ohms.

I had this today, Ze of 15 ohms on the TNS, reducing to 4 ohms with the aid of the water pipe!!!
:eek:
Luckily I'd already fitted a dual RCD CU at the origin.

Chappie from Eon came out within an hour, admitted that it was probably their dodgy joint in the road, preached the indoctrinated spiel that it wasn't down to them to supply a good earth and said that the customer could apply for a PME or I could sink an earth rod.

:mad:Well, I knew THAT. Earth rod it is then.

He "Made a note of it" and switched off the main switch.

No chance of him checking the neighbours' houses to see if they have the same problem. How long would it take a BS3036 fuse to break a 56A earth fault into the washing up bowl? Or would Doris get roasted first??

Les

I had this today, Ze of 15 ohms on the TNS, reducing to 4 ohms with the aid of the water pipe!!!
:eek:
Luckily I'd already fitted a dual RCD CU at the origin.

Chappie from Eon came out within an hour, admitted that it was probably their dodgy joint in the road, preached the indoctrinated spiel that it wasn't down to them to supply a good earth and said that the customer could apply for a PME or I could sink an earth rod.

:mad:Well, I knew THAT. Earth rod it is then.

He "Made a note of it" and switched off the main switch.

No chance of him checking the neighbours' houses to see if they have the same problem. How long would it take a BS3036 fuse to break a 56A earth fault into the washing up bowl? Or would Doris get roasted first??

Les
What is fuse and cable cpc, I am sure cable insulation would be damaged etc as well as increased shock risk, if you had not installed RCD.

What is fuse and cable cpc, I am sure cable insulation would be damaged etc as well as increased shock risk, if you had not installed RCD.

Hi,
That last bit was a ranty hypothesis really, with the water pipe connected, Zs at the board is approx 4 ohms, so the earth fault current would be 57 amps. If it is the same at the neighbour's house, and they only have 3036 fuses for protection, in the event of a fault - What happens next?

I'm going to send a polite letter suggesting the neighbours at least get their Ze tested. There are only about 6 semis in a row in the middle of nowhere. The work I've carried out at my customer's house has made it safe and covered my responsibilities to them, but I'm a worrier.:(

Les

Reply to High Ze Value on TNS in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock