Currently reading:
hot tub and socket in garden

Discuss hot tub and socket in garden in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Smugley

Hello all, as part of a rewire at the moment, client wants a supply for a hot tub, about 6m from house, aswell as a weatherproof socket outlet (>2m from hot tub). As the hot tub requires a 13A supply I need to provide a separate circuit for it. Only two options I have come up with are to run two separate 2.5mm radials in SWA - one to the hot tub isolator switch and the other to the socket. 16A mcb on each back at the CU.

I was hoping to reduce this to a single supply cable, but I can't think of any way to do this other than to run a single 4mm 32A radial into another consumer unit containing two 16A MCBs which means the hassle of building a weatherproof area to house it. I don't think it's a good to spur the socket off the hot tub supply as fixed equipment over 2000w should have it's own dedicated circuit. Anyone think of a neater solution I may be overlooking?

how about... taking an fcu spur from a socket in the house in, for example 2.5mm T+E run in conduit outside to where required. The circuit should be rcd protected by the consumer unit as you are doing a re-wire and the cable protected by conduit. Then the hot tub can be on it's own supply as you mentioned, it should be due to the power rquirments. No need for two sepeate circuits to the c/u if you use a socket spur. hope thats helpful.

Hi miner69er, thanks. I don't want to take it from the ring because I want it on it's own RCBO, separated from the indoor circuits which are spread over two RCDs. The tub is rated to draw 13A so I think a fused spur with maximum 13A fuse is not appropriate as I am more comfortable with the design current some margin below the rating of the OCPD. Therefore any fused spur for the tub cannot be used as I want the MCB to be 16A. Ideally I'd run a single supply to the tub and add a fused spur for the socket outlet, and rate the cable and protective device accordingly but I have this idea that you shouldn't add a socket spur off a radial designed for a single load. Am I right?

i ran a hot tub feed recently and the manufacturer req a type c breaker or the would not install. This made the cable supplied much bigger due to the lower zs. (6mm in total at 25 metres). Erring on the safe side of caution i think due to the high induction of the pump/motor!?
Is this a factor for u?
I would put it on its own feed if u can through a 32A rotary isolator as u state that u are doing a rewire anyway.

just a thought as the power rating was more than the manual stated for the hot tub i installed as the lights were not included in total pwr consumption. About 4500W.

also run a spur from a breaker in the board to feed ur skt! this will comply with regs!

i ran 6mm t&e through wall into back of ip rated box. from there an armoured to rotary isolator, then to hot tub.
u could run a spur from ip box through 2.5mm armoured to ur outside skt?

or tap ur outside skt from the ring as u suggested?

All req rcd as im sure u already know!

hope this helps?

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ukpablo, yes I think it would be a good idea to chat to the manufacturer since all I know is that the tub is a fairly modest size, but just rated at 13A. Their lowest powered model. Nothing in the literature says anything about typeof breaker. The only reason I was asking about spurring the socket off the tub feed was to reduce the number of cables I have to run to the garden as there is also one for lighting which means a total of three cables down the wall. Thinking I'll just run NYY-J along the brick wall instead of having to use armoured in the ground. A lot less digging involved :)

Bear in mind that a hot tub is classed as a swimming pool for the purposes of the regulations and therefore all the special requirements for those locations apply.

Reply to hot tub and socket in garden in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock