Discuss How do I wire a motion flood light prior a switch to operate the inside ceiling lights? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, i am having issues wiring my garage... i am running my lighting circuit. First, i wanted to run my power feed from the panel, to a junction box (which will split towards a motion activated flood light that is continuously powered, split to the garage door opener, and split to a switch to power separate work bench lights).. my first junction box split is as such... panel box, to junction box, to motion activated flood light (always powered), to light switch, to ceiling lights for garage. I wired hot to hot and neutral to neutral and ground to ground at the JB and the motion flood light, then i ran Down to the switch to where the circuit will be broken to turn off/on the ceiling lights when needed. I pig tailed the 2 neutrals at the switch and connected the hot wires into the switch, and also connected the grounds. I didn’t wire in any ceiling lights from the switch yet, but i turned my breaker back on and the flood light connection box keeps popping and sparking when the breaker is flipped on.... what do i have wrong here?

I don’t want to break the circuit until after the flood light, once the circuit hits the switch for the ceiling lights.

Hello, i am having issues wiring my garage... i am running my lighting circuit. First, i wanted to run my power feed from the panel, to a junction box (which will split towards a motion activated flood light that is continuously powered, split to the garage door opener, and split to a switch to power separate work bench lights).. my first junction box split is as such... panel box, to junction box, to motion activated flood light (always powered), to light switch, to ceiling lights for garage. I wired hot to hot and neutral to neutral and ground to ground at the JB and the motion flood light, then i ran Down to the switch to where the circuit will be broken to turn off/on the ceiling lights when needed. I pig tailed the 2 neutrals at the switch and connected the hot wires into the switch, and also connected the grounds. I didn’t wire in any ceiling lights from the switch yet, but i turned my breaker back on and the flood light connection box keeps popping and sparking when the breaker is flipped on.... what do i have wrong here?

I don’t want to break the circuit until after the flood light, once the circuit hits the switch for the ceiling lights.
It sounds like you have the switch leg which is probably white and the electrician that wired That needs to make sure to black tape the white wire so it can be identified as a live wire in with the neutrals

It sounds like you have the switch leg which is probably white and the electrician that wired That needs to make sure to black tape the white wire so it can be identified as a live wire in with the neutrals
Hello, just to update, i found a short in the hot wire. When i mounted the metal flood light bracket, it cut the hot wire sheating. Simple fix. thanks

Reply to How do I wire a motion flood light prior a switch to operate the inside ceiling lights? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net