Search the forum,

Discuss how rough???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

went to install a cable to a garage CU on monday and ended up partially rewiring the lights because they were so poorly done for no extra as and corrected non continuous live on the sockets as well.

exactly
i bet it felt great handing them to her
and I bet she told everyone she could about what happened

she certainly did and a few follow up`s from her friends for bits and pieces afterwards. which in turn can lead to bigger jobs as they remember a good service

Anybody else think an armoured cable running up the wall and being made off into an adaptable box/stop end box would have been a better approach?

Did mine at home recently and dropped a 10mm down an outside wall in 25mm black plastic with a stopend box on each end....Often you can run it up behind a downpipe,they are an inch or so off the wall,unscrew the fixing cliips,move it to one side and refix once your conduits in place....pretty unobtrusive then.

5 years you say that cable was out there,im surprised it wasnt more weather beaten and cracking and peeling.

Rotten looking job, 950...4 hrs...sometimes you question your own honesty!!!

Funnily enough I have just been asked to wire a shower feed for a customer who has just had their house fully replastered and now decides they want a shower :rolleyes:

I explained the safest way would be to chase a 2/3" channel up their wall and into the ceiling and then lift a few floorboards to pull the cable accross to the bathroom. I would then remove some tiles in their bathroom (with the trusty Fein) chase it up again to where the shower point will be, fill all my chases and re-fix & grout the tiles in the bathroom, and guarantee my chases would be unseen once painted, all for £380.

Her husband phoned and told me his mate has told him he will do it for £100 by just running "some thick cable" outside and clipped up the wall to the bathroom, would I be willing to reduce my price!!!!!!!!!

Some customers really are asking for trouble but for some scumbag to charge £950 to do this is scandalous.
With any work I do for customers (especially eldery) I always think how I would like my family or parents to be treated by a tradesman and do the job to that quality. In one of your pictures I noticed there seems to be some flags stacked quite close to that cable indicating the possible dangers.

Whaty method would you use to feed a shower if the customer wanted no internal chases??? SWA, Metal Conduit, Plastic Conduit, pvc/pvc????

This will stir a few faint hearted types no doubt :)

Cavity !

Damp bridging the cavity via the cable
Mouse food
Un supported cable
"But it works dont it " :)

Internal via a airing cupbpoard or hidden trunking into the attic and short chase or trunking to the shower

You could go for the tack it to the external wall route and charge £ 850 quoting the Texan method and charge accordingly( using thick cable of course )

Reply to how rough???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock