• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Image showing effects of consumer unit fire! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
This popper up on my twitter feed tonight, shows a house gutted in Greater London from fire due to a consumer unit fire.... Make sure you double check your terminations and installs and it can almost always be avoided if you do things properly.
upload_2018-6-10_23-23-40.png

Dillb

Electrician's Arms
Fire brigades are noturious for blaming fires on electrical faults, without actually pinpointing exactly what it was so probalbly woryh taki g this with a pinch of salt.

As for telling us to double check tightness I would like to think that people do that as a second nature without actually having to think about it.

A

Adam W

Have you ever noticed how whenever there is a fire anywhere the fire brigade are always hanging around nearby?
Just saying...

Gavin John Hyde

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Fire brigades are noturious for blaming fires on electrical faults, without actually pinpointing exactly what it was so probalbly woryh taki g this with a pinch of salt.

As for telling us to double check tightness I would like to think that people do that as a second nature without actually having to think about it.
I would like to think its 2nd nature too. See far too many loose wires though.

Electrician's Arms
I see far too many loose wires, and connections. Seen many a faceplate connections burnt out, and many MCB's, RCD's, Fuses etc burnt out. Never seen a house burnt down due to them though, or anything close.

E

elsparko

not true, i was doing an eicr on a very new property that was about to be leased out, cooker mcb had about 15mm of copper showing above terminal, switched it off and gave it a little pull and out it came

only decent sparkies check their connections are tight

Electrician's Arms
not true, i was doing an eicr on a very new property that was about to be leased out, cooker mcb had about 15mm of copper showing above terminal, switched it off and gave it a little pull and out it came

only decent sparkies check their connections are tight
You are an apprentice, why the hell are you doing an EICR???

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access

Agree Dillb, we all used to check, but today? who knows what or who is doing electrical work?

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
Over the course of a working lifetime, connecting & double checking thousands, possibly millions of terminations, do you not think you might just leave the odd one or two loose?

We are all human, prone to make mistakes.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
But hey a fire rated enclosure or DB will help solve the problem wont it :fearscream:
Now you are taking the proverbial? best way would be to improve training.
Because in my opinion, poor training and Plastic Electricians are the main cause of consumers unit fires. Seems that the main thing these days is to make the install of CUs look pretty, cable tie all the conductors together, take pictures and post them on line, hoping they will get brownie points, rather than, ensuring the connections etc are done properly.
Saying that, doesn't mean it should look carp, but safety is the best option, By the way, good morning, have a good day.

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
I did a board change a couple months ago - everything hunky dory.
Got a call back to same house last week, asked the guy what was wrong. He said the shower wasn't working. I asked what actually was happening with the shower?
"Some smoke" was the reply. :confused:
A "friend of the family" had changed the guys shower since my board change.
Cover off, the neutral was black instead of blue.... crispy and brittle insulation. A little tug and it just falls out the terminal block. Same with the c.p.c.
Pulled spare cable out the wall, new bit of block, reterminated, tested and everything good again.

Sorry, no photos. But it shows you how easy a loose termination can start overheating, and may, in the right circumstances, cause a serious fire.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.