Discuss Image showing effects of consumer unit fire! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
This popper up on my twitter feed tonight, shows a house gutted in Greater London from fire due to a consumer unit fire.... Make sure you double check your terminations and installs and it can almost always be avoided if you do things properly.
Image showing effects of consumer unit fire! upload_2018-6-10_23-23-40 - EletriciansForums.net

Fire brigades are noturious for blaming fires on electrical faults, without actually pinpointing exactly what it was so probalbly woryh taki g this with a pinch of salt.

As for telling us to double check tightness I would like to think that people do that as a second nature without actually having to think about it.

Fire brigades are noturious for blaming fires on electrical faults, without actually pinpointing exactly what it was so probalbly woryh taki g this with a pinch of salt.

As for telling us to double check tightness I would like to think that people do that as a second nature without actually having to think about it.
I would like to think its 2nd nature too. See far too many loose wires though.

I see far too many loose wires, and connections. Seen many a faceplate connections burnt out, and many MCB's, RCD's, Fuses etc burnt out. Never seen a house burnt down due to them though, or anything close.

not true, i was doing an eicr on a very new property that was about to be leased out, cooker mcb had about 15mm of copper showing above terminal, switched it off and gave it a little pull and out it came

only decent sparkies check their connections are tight

not true, i was doing an eicr on a very new property that was about to be leased out, cooker mcb had about 15mm of copper showing above terminal, switched it off and gave it a little pull and out it came

only decent sparkies check their connections are tight
You are an apprentice, why the hell are you doing an EICR???

Agree Dillb, we all used to check, but today? who knows what or who is doing electrical work?

Over the course of a working lifetime, connecting & double checking thousands, possibly millions of terminations, do you not think you might just leave the odd one or two loose?

We are all human, prone to make mistakes.

But hey a fire rated enclosure or DB will help solve the problem wont it :fearscream:
Now you are taking the proverbial? best way would be to improve training.
Because in my opinion, poor training and Plastic Electricians are the main cause of consumers unit fires. Seems that the main thing these days is to make the install of CUs look pretty, cable tie all the conductors together, take pictures and post them on line, hoping they will get brownie points, rather than, ensuring the connections etc are done properly.
Saying that, doesn't mean it should look carp, but safety is the best option, By the way, good morning, have a good day.

I did a board change a couple months ago - everything hunky dory.
Got a call back to same house last week, asked the guy what was wrong. He said the shower wasn't working. I asked what actually was happening with the shower?
"Some smoke" was the reply. :confused:
A "friend of the family" had changed the guys shower since my board change.
Cover off, the neutral was black instead of blue.... crispy and brittle insulation. A little tug and it just falls out the terminal block. Same with the c.p.c.
Pulled spare cable out the wall, new bit of block, reterminated, tested and everything good again.

Sorry, no photos. But it shows you how easy a loose termination can start overheating, and may, in the right circumstances, cause a serious fire.

I did a board change a couple months ago - everything hunky dory.
Got a call back to same house last week, asked the guy what was wrong. He said the shower wasn't working. I asked what actually was happening with the shower?
"Some smoke" was the reply. :confused:
A "friend of the family" had changed the guys shower since my board change.
Cover off, the neutral was black instead of blue.... crispy and brittle insulation. A little tug and it just falls out the terminal block. Same with the c.p.c.
Pulled spare cable out the wall, new bit of block, reterminated, tested and everything good again.

Sorry, no photos. But it shows you how easy a loose termination can start overheating, and may, in the right circumstances, cause a serious fire.
Hope you charged him, did he start to blame you for the problem? bet the answer is in the affirmative, be surprised if it isn't.

He paid me over what I asked for because I came out so quick.
He didn't blame me at all... he blamed his "family friend"
Good customer, and hopefully i'll get more work from him as he's lost trust in getting non-qualified people in

He paid me over what I asked for because I came out so quick.
He didn't blame me at all... he blamed his "family friend"
Good customer, and hopefully i'll get more work from him as he's lost trust in getting non-qualified people in
get the guy who installed the shower to come back round, grab him by the finger, and push his finger the wrong way and try to make it touch his wrist, see if he still wants to be an electrician after that

Reply to Image showing effects of consumer unit fire! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock