Discuss Inspecting & Testing Approved NICEIC contractors work??? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

flyingpig

Hello All,

I work for a small group who have a few properties scattered around the country, and need some info about testing, checking etc ---- If we carry out some electrical work on the houses and the work is completed by an NICEIC approved contractor do we have to get the work tested by a competent electrician - is there anything in the regs or acops that says we do?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

FP.

If the contractors are nic approved then they should be able to test and sign off their own work and issue you with the correct certs

Thanks Jonesy for that repsonse mate. They can complete the paperwork and certs no problem - its more about any liability placed on my employer to have them certified or checked...

So there is nothing in the regs or acops that says we have to get the work tested inspected or checking the minor works certs by a qualified sparky.,.,??

All you need is to seek the services of a competent person.

You say 'we carry out some electrical work' then say the work is 'completed by an NICEIC approved contractor' and then 'do we have to get the work tested by a competent electrician'

I'm confused??

All you need is to seek the services of a competent person.

You say 'we carry out some electrical work' then say the work is 'completed by an NICEIC approved contractor' and then 'do we have to get the work tested by a competent electrician'

I'm confused??

Apologies Widdler ---- This is where my lack of electrical knowledge comes in. I will clear it up now.

My employer who has a business and some properties (houses) as a part of the business that are rented, he is getting some work carried out on them by an NICEIC approved contractor - routine installation which result in a minor works certificate. Does our company have to check or sign off that work? We as a company have no electrical competence that is why we are using an approved contractor?

Under the regs, who has to prove competence, the owner, landlord or the person carrying out the work?

Oh that makes more sense.

In that case you just need to use a company and they should do it all. The electricians will certify and commission their own work.
You as a client can request proof of competence from any contractor who's services you employ. Many will use it anyway for their own marketing venture.
You could seek references etc if you wish, or go for a company who is registered with an approved body (ECA/Elecsa, Napit, NICEIC etc). The benefits of this is that you can verify the companies enrolment with the necessary bodies, and they themselves can be approached if your electrician goes AWOL.

Reply to Inspecting & Testing Approved NICEIC contractors work??? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net