Discuss Installing new circuits and cu's for myself and family in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mynameisjeff

Hi, let me begin by apologising for my negligence but a clear answer cannot be found and I thought some kind fellow would help me.

i am a hnc electrical engineer with nvq's up to level 4 in mechanical and electrical but focussing on industrial work as it is my job. I recently passed my 17th edition with work.

my question is what would it take for me to install a consumer unit or other notifiable work? I know I need to do the part p but is that where it ends or do I have to join a scheme as well? Having looked into the scheme it won't let me register unless I'm attached to a business that deals with domestic installation, yet I just want to do a couple of favours for family.

thanks in advance for any responses.

Hi, let me begin by apologising for my negligence but a clear answer cannot be found and I thought some kind fellow would help me.

i am a hnc electrical engineer with nvq's up to level 4 in mechanical and electrical but focussing on industrial work as it is my job. I recently passed my 17th edition with work.

my question is what would it take for me to install a consumer unit or other notifiable work? I know I need to do the part p but is that where it ends or do I have to join a scheme as well? Having looked into the scheme it won't let me register unless I'm attached to a business that deals with domestic installation, yet I just want to do a couple of favours for family.

thanks in advance for any responses.
first, forget doing part pee. all you need wrt that is to download part p of the building regs from planning portal.gov and read and understand it. for cheap notification, you can join a scheme. stroma is the cheapest by a mile. otherwise the alternatives are to approach your LABC and ask if they'll accept notification from you ( at a fee, esp. if they get it 3rd party tested ) or just do the job/s, test and certify yourself . failing to notify is not a hanging offence, and nobody has so far been prosecuted unless something has gone wrong, e.g. injury/fire as a result of bad installation.

To avoid having to notify the local authority building control (LABC) directly, with the often high fees, you'd normally join a one of the schemes. The LABC fees vary, but are often set deliberately high (as much as they can reasonably get away with) to discourage anyone from notifying direct (and which largely works). But you might want to check exactly what your LABC does charge, just in case it is not high.

As well as being assessed for competence (which hopefully would not be an issue), the schemes need to see other things in place - e.g. insurance. You don't have to be a limited company, you could be assessed as an individual (sole trader), but you'd have the trouble and costs of these additional requirements. I don't think there are any minimum turnover requirements from the schemes (after all, they just want your money).

There has been a lot of discussion about allowing 3rd party certification. Most schemes were against it, but if I recall, Stroma did allow it. So an option might be to find someone in Stroma who would do this.

As to not notifying, as to whether this would be an issue depends. There is nobody policing these notifications (apart from one's own scheme, e.g. if you are daft enough to let them see paperwork for work you didn't notify that should have been). It tends to come up if a house is sold, when it is now quite common for the buyer to ask for certificates for any recent work. A new CU with no paperwork would likely be noticed in this situation.

[Edit: Just noticed this overlaps a lot with what Tel just posted]

Last edited:
Nothing to stop you being both employed, and a sole trader.
Unless you’ve signed a contract of employment agreeing otherwise.

It follows; if you’re a sole trader, competent, and can tick all the boxes with a scheme you’ll be able to join.

Apologies if it’s more complex than that, and I’ve over simplified it .

My LBC suggests a charge to come and test wok that requires notification 'if not using a competent electrical engineer', £412+vat. Most of the schemes advise against 3rd party certification, so I think you will find it hard to get an electrician to certify your work . Cost to join Elecsa for example..........cough £410+vat. You could just do the work yourself, all well & good until you come to sell your house. Then you might need an EICR, chaps about £250? And the purchaser might need to purchase indemnity insurance. Choice you take.

Nothing to stop you being both employed, and a sole trader.
Unless you’ve signed a contract of employment agreeing otherwise.

And even then only if the contract can withstand legal challenge - many prescriptive clauses in contracts have been found to be unreasonable and unlawful.

And even then only if the contract can withstand legal challenge - many prescriptive clauses in contracts have been found to be unreasonable and unlawful.
Totally agree with that - I've signed contracts banning me from working within geographical areas and for clients of the employing firm, after I leave. I sign knowing it won't hold water :)
Being reasonable, I think an employer is entitled to be naffed off if you're tired or distracted by other business activities.

Reply to Installing new circuits and cu's for myself and family in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock