Currently reading:
Insulation Resistance Testing Ring Circuit

Discuss Insulation Resistance Testing Ring Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

applesandppears

Hello All,

I am to install some extra sockets for a customer on a relatively new build.

The insulation resistance test.

I tested at 250VDC between line conductors connected and earth and obtained a reading of 1.10 ohms (not megaohms)

Does this reading seem likely that a piece of equipment has not been disconnected?

Any thoughts?

Hello All,

I tested at 250VDC between line conductors connected and earth and obtained a reading of 1.10 ohms (not megaohms)

Does this reading seem likely that a piece of equipment has not been disconnected?

Any thoughts?

It's cused by a poor standard of wind up content

circuit was working with the RCD holding in, therefore no earth leakage, so your reading can only be due to you doing it wrong.

thanks

its a large house and couldn't access all areas today. Though if i can't access everything surely a test between live conductors and earth is acceptable?

But why would this be so low? how do PIR soft tests give out acceptable readings with connected components?

If this was a PIR it would fail miserably?

Hello All,

Any thoughts?

Aye, My thought is that maybe you should be in the Trainees' Section.

thanks

A load connected would cause a low resistance (going through the component)

As indicated in GN3 an acceptable method if you can't connect equipment is to test between live conductors (live and neutral) connected together and earth.

If i did this how can it be so low. This is so stupid but i'm blank and any help would be appreciated

he said in his OP that he linked L and N and tested to E. PME earthing, reading through supply??????? dis. circuit completely then test.

I would say this guys a numpty but needs a kick up the --- with some help?
I would expect a high resistance reading greater than 2 mega ohm, certainly not under 1 mega ohm?
Possible reasons for this would include damaged insulation, or a load connected.

Though my (clearly inferior!) brain can't see why is you have a live and neutral at the same potential difference going to earth then there should be a high resistance reading unless the voltage is arcing through line conductors to earth?

Shall I just stick the probes to my brain to stimulate it maybe? 1kV!

trev - yes it is possibly the blondest moment i've had for a few years. I'll die my hair back after i've cleared this up!

telectrix - thank you!

Considering the installation is relatively new (2004 good condition, visually) it seems very likely be that PME on the TN-C-S supply.

In anyones experience could it be damage anywhere? as this low resistance would surely cause a form of arcing on a 32A?

Reply to Insulation Resistance Testing Ring Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back