Search the forum,

Discuss Is this what I signed up for? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

VoltzElectrical

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
here is the start of a thread that is offered up in the hope of some interesting opinions.

I started out for my mate 5 years ago, and didn't really know one end of a battery drill from another.

Several large contracts later, we are in business together and I am nearing the end of my time at college (exam tomorrow and next Thursday).

We do a lot of large student accommodation that typically last 10 months to a year. The work is relentless and monotonous. Drilling Timber frame, pulling cable, putting up miles of basket, up and down scaffolding, steps, podiums.

And then the 2nd fix. What a bore. Endless sockets and switches and crappy light fittings.

And often working on my own. This is a boring boring boring, desperately hard and exhausting lonely existence.

i am too knackered to even think when I get home after driving an hour.

i don't pursue any of my hobbies anymore (surfing/ fishing/ canoeing).

We wait for the company to dictate which contract we will do next and at what measly trifling price that means we will have to bust a gut to get it done for 'wages'.

After reading about all the nightmares of dealing with customers and their diabolical properties and expectations I can honestly say I don't ever want to embrace the domestic market.

So there it is.

I look forward to your responses.

Yours, as ever.

you make it sound awful, loads would want in your shoes, take every friday off now and do what you enjoy. even if work late during week

Voltz....I hope the exams go well for you.

I kind of understand where your coming from, ive struggled lately too.

You do not have to be an electrician if you do not want to be one. Most people who are clever enough to be an electrician are clever enough to do many other, and often, well paid jobs.

I wish you well.

stressing does not help.

best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Domestic for new builds isn't so bad if you can get the work. No real end clients to deal with, just the site foreman. The work is very cut-throat though.

What type of work do you most enjoy, focus on trying to grow that part of the job, or change jobs!

your job doesn't sound too bad. I'm with you on working alone tho, makes a day feel like a week! and if you keep getting squeezed on price that really gets you down.
all I can suggest is trying to get a bit of banter going with all the trades on the job. and a long weekend now and again is also good as already suggested.

it's early doors for you so don't let it get you down!

I surf too, (work allowing!!!!) that's the best way to unwind! where you from? (roughly - I'm not a stalker!!!)

i worked in a factory for 12 years, not as a spark, that is monotonous, boring boring boring, so i quit and retrained. believe me, you could have a lot worse jobs. i done 14 and a half hours yesterday on the job im on now but i'd never jack it to go back to working to a buzzer again.

Reply to Is this what I signed up for? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock