Discuss JIB told me I wasn't a spark.....? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lack of NVQ 3, i can never understand why people go sit the 2391 yet completley miss out the 2356 NVQ3 which is easier, must be a cost thing

Phoned the j I b up and told them my quals

2330 level 3
17th edition

They told me I was a level 1 trainee.....

I contacted them a couple of years ago out of general enquiry. I gave them all my credentials, history blah blah blah I was told I could be graded as a provisional technician or an improver.

Luckily I have no dependence on the JIB and never will - the JIB are a wasted opportunity.

It wasn't so much a cost thing......I just done the 2330 and got a distinction on the testing & inspection so was told to sit the 2391, 3 day course over a weekend and the exam on the Wednesday so that just came in a flash, I am also a NAPIT member so had 12/18 months to gain the 2391 from acceptance! Guess I will have to go about taking photos and do the nvq now!!......"yes mrs smith there is your new light fitting, would you mind taking a photo of me fitting it?"!!

IMO- Nvq is a waste of time and possibly the worst thought out qualification ever! BUT the JIB have set a minimum standard for a sparks and it includes it - You should be able to blitz it, theres nothing hard about it just time consuming!

I have had a look online and xs training do a online one with a E-portfolio And I just download my pictures to that.....£550 + vat......seems ok?

The Nvq is part of every new electrical apprenticeship and if you completed your apprenticeship before the time of the Nvq the JIB will still give your an electrician status.

Whats the problem?!?!? Complete your apprenticeship thoroughly and you'll get the card!!

At least the JIB can recognize an electrician who was once mentored and taught by another rather than an electrician who taught himself. Thank god for the JIB otherwise we will have no industry whatsoever!!!

Think you need NVQ 2356 mate, to meet the JIb definition of a spark, then you would also meet the definition of approved!

Yes as as long as you have been a graded electrician for a minimum of two years and hold the 2391 certificate then you would become approved.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I always thought you had to have NVQ level 2 & 3 to be a JIB registered spark, I can't believe how many sparks haven't sat AM2 thought you had to have it as well as NVQ portfolio etc

exactly what do they know! they just refer your experience and quals to there peice of paper they have on there desk

Phoned the j I b up and told them my quals

2330 level 3
17th edition

They told me I was a level 1 trainee.....

So are you going to apply for your ECS card anyway ?
I would as its better than no card at all and it will be enough to get you onto building site jobs.
Personally i dont blame the JIB as they are just trying to uphold membership standards as an independant authority.
The real problems lie with City & Guilds whos constant tinkering and restructuring with electrical training is a shambles and the training providers are the only ones that benefit.
So get any card to get your foot in the door as it will make things alot easier and quicker to get re-graded at a later date.

To be honest it's something that I could take or leave the card but for the cost of one I thought it would be good to have in the wallet. I'm not to keen on site work....there is to many sites just having you under pressure for time having you lashing in cables the choping out fast fix boxes after its all plastered causing lost cables etc.....it's something I can't stand, so I am more domestic installations & testing so it wouldnt change my prospects......but saying that if you are graded by a national company and they can't grade me as a electrician then I am now asking myself....am I electrician!.....I have great knowledge of design, installing, inspection & good fault finder, I leave a neat job, NAPIT registered so I follow requirements fo notible work, but then again they say I'm a trainee. I don't know what other training I can do as the nvq3 is just a portfolio

As an employer, I find it is very difficult to assess someone who comes to me with all technical qualifications. I have no idea what they can do practically. It is the same for the JIB grading. They need as much information as possible of practical experience. Previous and current employers testimonials and NVQ 3.
Would you be happy for someone to drive if they have just passed their theory test?

Finish your dinner lads and you'll get the card. Simples!!!

Strange how the only people who slag the JIB off are either Electrical Trainee, mates, improver or 'technicians' from other occupations.

Like I said the JIB are the only ones keeping our industry serious and battling against what must be hundreds and hundreds of training centres.

Only issue i have with the JIB is that from reading many posts it seem's that someone with over 20 years of electrical experience has to do NVQ 3 to be called a sparks now, 20+ yrs ago NVQ just didn't exist to my knowledge.

Lack of NVQ 3, i can never understand why people go sit the 2391 yet completley miss out the 2356 NVQ3 which is easier, must be a cost thing
Because it's a pain in the behind - you have to go around taking pictures of everything like some kind of trainspotter, and you have to cover a variety of different situations, some of which you might not come across on a regular basis.
Taking pictures of your work might be OK in certain situations, sites etc, but inappropriate in others, eg MOD sites, hospitals, schools.

Only issue i have with the JIB is that from reading many posts it seem's that someone with over 20 years of electrical experience has to do NVQ 3 to be called a sparks now, 20+ yrs ago NVQ just didn't exist to my knowledge.

Your not getting my point!!! If a spark has been working in this industry for 20 years and completed his apprenticeship at his time.... HE WILL BE GRADED AS AN ELECTRICIAN!!! Same for the 60's, 70's and so on. NVQ or not. You complete the recognised electrical apprenticeship at the time and you'll always be a graded spark!!

Reply to JIB told me I wasn't a spark.....? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock