Discuss Just saying hello in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hello, currently not working in the electrical industry. Hoping to get booked in for some courses soon. From reading and common sense I know that it won’t mean I’m suddenly an over night spark. Nor will it beat on site experience. So my hope is to get the courses done then work as a mate with hopefully being taken on further down the line. I have some friends who are qualified sparks and they’ve all helped each other get into the trade over the years. So will be calling on them to get working as a mate or even working for free to gain some experience with someone who will let me. I currently am just labouring but I have helped an electrician before for a few weeks. Was just doing stuff like chasing out walls and putting in back boxes plus bit of cable pulling.

Hopefully it goes well and will be on the right steps to getting myself a career. Have already been reading and watching as much as I can. Just on topics of stuff that it says will be covered in the course. Just to give myself a bit of a head start when in the class room.

Welcome to the show…

running in cables is good experience, and better when you understand why certain cables go certain places. Switch drops can be a nightmare with numerous t&e and 3c&e hanging out the wall.
Everything marked up nicely and some pee’d off little plumber comes along and cuts off the markings…..

I digress.
Ask the guy you helped if you can just watch him as he connects up.

Thanks for the welcome. I plan on taking a course which I think is quite common. I have just read plenty times people then thinking they are good enough to go off and carry out work lol. I am under no illusions and even after the course will be calling on friends. One friend done his apprenticeship straight from school years ago now. Since then he got two other friends working and both now qualified. Plus one of them went with a company and got someone else in. It’s not like the job was just there when they asked but it came up and they helped get them in.

Once I’ve done the course I’m gonna phone them and see if I can tag along to help out. Happy to just work along side em picking up as much as I can for free to be honest. Then once I feel I’ve got a bit of experience look online to find work as a mate. Happy to just crack on with that until someone thinks I’m decent enough to take on. Honestly not in a rush or least don’t think I got unrealistic expectations. So not expecting to do this course and walk straight into a job and training towards the nvq3.

Welcome. Hope you find a suitable course and you can start the journey soon!
Once booked on a course there's a trainee forum section it might be worth you checking out.

Reply to Just saying hello in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net