Currently reading:
main bonding

Discuss main bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Ben Butcher

Just a quickie, is there anything in the regs that says a main bonding cable cannot be joined? I have installed one for an oil pipe which has now been moved...

on this note does anybody know if it is allowed to bring a main bond to water or gas from a sub DB when the MET is on the opposite side of a building and miles away ??, i should know this but never come across it before .

joints are fine if they are permanent. i.e. can't be disconnected by removing a screw by a wet-pants.

on this note does anybody know if it is allowed to bring a main bond to water or gas from a sub DB

that depends whether the sub main earth is large enough to carry the fault current .

Did you just guess this answer? A main protective bonding conductor must be connected to the main earthing terminal 411.3.1.2

However it is possible to use an EMT at a remote location as a connection point for the bonding and use a suitably sized cable that meets the bonding requirements of section 544 from that EMT to the MET. However this is generally for separate buildings and not for within the same building.

However it is possible to use an EMT at a remote location as a connection point for the bonding and use a suitably sized cable that meets the bonding requirements of section 544 from that EMT to the MET. However this is generally for separate buildings and not for within the same building.

Exactly, in effect forming another equipotential zone.

on this note does anybody know if it is allowed to bring a main bond to water or gas from a sub DB when the MET is on the opposite side of a building and miles away ??, i should know this but never come across it before .

Does the building have a steel structure if so bond to that, as long as the steel is bonded back at the MET which it should be anyway!

Does the building have a steel structure if so bond to that, as long as the steel is bonded back at the MET which it should be anyway!
The building is structural steel, sheeting rails and cladding,,, I noticed it on a job I looked at last week, the origin isn't that far away were there is a suitable MET and section board, however the contractor has decided to bond steel, water and gas from a sub DB, the sub main is a 16mm SWA cable, using the SWA as the earth.. It interested me as I have never seen that done before, I can see that they have done it because the incoming supplies were close to the DB but I was unsure wether this is acceptable??

The building is structural steel, sheeting rails and cladding,,, I noticed it on a job I looked at last week, the origin isn't that far away were there is a suitable MET and section board, however the contractor has decided to bond steel, water and gas from a sub DB, the sub main is a 16mm SWA cable, using the SWA as the earth.. It interested me as I have never seen that done before, I can see that they have done it because the incoming supplies were close to the DB but I was unsure wether this is acceptable??

Using the 16mm SWA as a main earth bonding conductor is NOT acceptable, it will not have an appropriate copper equivalent CSA. The steel wire armouring is fine for use as a CPC but not where protective main earth bonding requirements are also to be met!!

Tony mc hit the nail on the head, once that structural steel is bonded, you've got a rather large main protective bonding conductor to 'tap off' to bond other services.

Using the 16mm SWA as a main earth bonding conductor is NOT acceptable, it will not have an appropriate copper equivalent CSA. The steel wire armouring is fine for use as a CPC but not where protective main earth bonding requirements are also to be met!!
Thanks engineer 54, I thought as much, seeing things like this makes you think somebody knows something more than you. I didn't want to point it out as incorrect and look stupid if there was a way of doing it that way. Is there a calculation to use to determine the size it must be?? Let's say the sub main was a 150mm SWA cable, would it then be sufficient ? I would always say it has to come from the origin, but surely there will be some kind of calculation that would determine if it was safe. Thanks again, Iam just trying to understand it a bit further as you do :)

Generally it is not recommended to use the armouring of SWA as a bonding conductor, especially where the supply is TNCS as there can be currents circulating through the bonding due to the design of the PME system that may have adverse effects on the current carrying capacity of the cable as a whole.

The comparative calculation for steel versus copper as a conductor is that the steel must have a cross sectional area of 8.5 times that of the copper because the steel is less conductive.
This would mean that where a 16mm² copper bonding conductor is in use then a steel conductor would need to be 136mm² to afford the same protection.

16mm² SWA armour has a CSA of 45mm² which is approximately equivalent to 5mm² in copper so unsuitable for any bonding conductor, even is it were an acceptable use of the armour.

Reply to main bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock