Discuss 1st Fix Install need to install temporary socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 1st fix domestic install on the go and need to leave a socket for other trades to use after me.

There is no main bonding at the minute as main water & Gas pipes are being removed and repositioned elsewhere in house

I understand that I have to certify the socket and will install the consumer unit and put socket underneath it

on cert would i put main bonding as not applicable?

please be kind my fist post😀👍

In the good old days we would TT the system (temporarily) during the works & obviously RCD Protection.
With the pipework being repositioned can you Main Bond on the entry point if required
You could then certify normally with the Bond’s in place

There not a lot you can do when construction is going on, even if you did bond the pipes it wouldn't last two minutes, someone would rip it off or cut the pipe out or find some other way of making it null and void.

I've even gone back to jobs to do the final couple of things and found brand new bonds disconnected again because they have moved a kitchen cupboard or run a new pipe to the boiler at the last minute, they never bother to reconnect the bonding cables again, even though its in the plumbers regs as well as ours.

Thanks for all replies guys

The house is a rewire but no boiler installed quite a bit of pipe work left boiler is moving from kitchen to loft space Eventually.

The stop tap is also being moved and there is a small bit of copper for a tap for plasterer I guess

The new water main is changing from lead to plastic

Just wasn’t quite sure if they needed bonding anywhere if it’s just one socket for other trades to use

cheers Steve

Any electrical work, even temporary, has to be done to regs…. So bonding, if needed, has be be done.

Whether it gets disconnected during works or not, as long as you leave it done right.
That's fine in theory though but imagine a house that's being renovated. Mains unit is under the stairs, the stop tap is in the kitchen and the gas meter is outside. But the stairs have just been ripped out, the wall between the hall and kitchen has been knocked down and half the floor is missing where they have ripped chimneys down etc. The ground floor is solid and there aren't any joists you can run the bonding through, also all the plumbing has been ripped out so its just the metal gas pipe coming into the meter box.

you could pin a bonding cable to the walls and get to the stop tap but as soon as they start to knock all the plaster off the bonding will go with it, you cant just leave it lying on the floor as someone will trip over it so what do you do? Even if you did somehow manage to bond it safely the water stop tap will be moved into the new extension anyway so you will just end up bonding it again and end up with a redundant piece of expensive 10mm copper that's now too short.

Its the difference between what can be done theoretically v what can be done practically. If someone insisted that the bonding had to be up to scratch and follow BS7671 to the letter whilst site work was going on I'd simply walk away and move onto the next job. Especially as my job entails doing things like lugging a heavy toolbox up the scaffolding on a rickety steep ladder or balancing on open floor joists with a 20ft drop most days, stuff like that.

You have to be pragmatic with something like that. Obviously must be RCD protected, etc, as regs demand.

The bonding is something that I would be less concerned with depending on what the situation is. The main purpose is to make sure you don't get dangerous voltages between pipes (and connected items such as metal sinks, etc) and any class I items on the supply CPC system. If you have only a temporary supply and no pipework within the building as it is completely ripped out that becomes a bit of a moot point until later when pipes and installation are being done.

If water, gas, and incoming supply are close and unlikely to change or be molested then bonding make sense and should be done.

Reply to 1st Fix Install need to install temporary socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net