• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Mechanical Engineer and part time electrical installation course in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for your time in advance.

I'm currently working as a mechanical engineer, in which I did an apprenticeship years ago and achieved NVQ Level 3 (ONC).

I'm not looking to change careers but would like to attend evening college classes in order to gain qualifications (possibly to fully qualified electrician) to add to what I already have.

For a bit of background, i'm 32, night shift manager at my current company (a position i've held for 5 years) and earn a salary of 50k.

Would like to know if becoming a fully qualified electrician is something I could possibly combine with what I already have for a future role should I decide to change etc.

It may seem an odd question, but want to future proof myself, as I work in a really niche engineering sector and would be nice to have qualifications in something different to what I already have.
Also would enjoy learning something new.

Many thanks.

There is nothing stopping you gaining extra qualifications in whatever subject you like.
If you would like to have electrical qualifications as well then there are lots of threads on here about it. Just do a search.

Reply to Mechanical Engineer and part time electrical installation course in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back