Discuss mixed circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

growler

-
Arms
Reaction score
Im currently in the process of 1st fixing a load of flats for a company as a subby. ive been told to do a kitchen appliance ring on a grid switch and also a radial for a microwave off the same grid switch. Also there is a heat recovery system and they want the boost switches as part of the light switches. Usually i would do a seperate spur for a microwave and have the boost switches seperate next to the light switches. Im just concerned it wont be obvious that there is actually two seperate circuits in the grid / light switches. Seems like bad practice to me !
Your thoughts would be appreciated !

More to the point...an appliance ring off a grid switch??
We always made all the appliances as radials fed from the grid switch/fuse layout. The grid switch was then part of the kitchen ring.

Im trying to picture this kitch ring / grid switch set-up.
Does the ring start / finish at the grid or the CU. ?
If its from the grid , then all the grid switch modules will need to be rated at 32A unless i've got this all wrong ?
mark ju's idea sounds better and is the more conventional method.

Im currently in the process of 1st fixing a load of flats for a company as a subby. ive been told to do a kitchen appliance ring on a grid switch and also a radial for a microwave off the same grid switch. Also there is a heat recovery system and they want the boost switches as part of the light switches. Usually i would do a seperate spur for a microwave and have the boost switches seperate next to the light switches. Im just concerned it wont be obvious that there is actually two seperate circuits in the grid / light switches. Seems like bad practice to me !
Your thoughts would be appreciated !

It is bad practice on a new install, but you can always put a "Voltage from 2 supplies" type sticker above the terminals. I have done this when I come across upstairs and downstairs lighting supplies, separate, but on the same 2 gang switch.

It is bad practice on a new install, but you can always put a "Voltage from 2 supplies" type sticker above the terminals. I have done this when I come across upstairs and downstairs lighting supplies, separate, but on the same 2 gang switch.

bad practice? interesting how should it be done?

How do you fit a 2-gang switch for the landing / hallway if upstairs and down stairs are on different circuits?

At what point did i mention 2 way hall lighting ?
I was refering to the OP's original enquiry concerning the kitchen wiring.

But to answer your question , well you cant can you ?
As its only a house with only 2 lighting circuits its not going to be that difficult to isolate both so i wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

Pretty easily mate, it's not something I like doing but suppose downstairs is a 1 way, you have the normal feed to sw and switched live from the downstairs circuit. Upstairs is a 2 way so you take the 3 core from the upstairs 2wsw to the downstairs 2w and there you have it

trev read the post mate lol its been said that this is bad practice

And as to the claim of "bad practice" , i call bullcrap on that.
If you follow proper safe isolation proceedures then it doesnt matter if theres 4 circuits in the switch box , there will be no risk.
Folk just dont like being faced with something out of the norm.

Well I'm going with the bad practice on this one. yes if you follow safe isolation there should never be a problem but imho it's normal to have 1 circuit at any given point not two and for the so called extra work involved. that's the bullcrap thing.

You are absolutely right biff. I was wrong to say that not following the regs is bad practice...yet again. I thought I was merely stating quite an elegant solution to maintaining separation, but yet again your statement that anyone who doesn't agree with you is talking "bullcrap" keeps me nicely in my place.

Quite easily. 2 switches with 2 boxes, 1 for upstairs and 1 for down.
Not many bother, but if you want to do it by the book....

as said by biff safe isolation no prob !
its ok to have 400v at a switch so can see no prob with 230v
which book is that i dont remember reading that one! lol
i would say its common practice not bad practice

Reply to mixed circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock