Discuss mixed circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mixed circuits is not right no.

Another solution for landing 2way is to have either the hall/landing light on the opposite circuit.

That way you can have one switch box and only one circuit in use.

Careful not to borrow those neutrals/lives though.

You are absolutely right biff. I was wrong to say that not following the regs is bad practice...yet again. I thought I was merely stating quite an elegant solution to maintaining separation, but yet again your statement that anyone who doesn't agree with you is talking "bullcrap" keeps me nicely in my place.

I can tell youre upset.

I can tell youre upset.

If you don't agree with something, then so be it. We are all entitled to our own opinions on things, but don't call something "bullcrap", simply because it's not how you do it.
2 circuits at 1 point IS bad practice these days, unless labelled as such. This is because someone may isolate the light switch, test it, then go prodding about, only to find that there were 2 feeds in there and they had only tested 1. The regs are updated based on what becomes apparent over time, and this old chestnut is one of those things.
I realise that any good electrician will test ALL cables before making the decision that it is safely isolated, but many sparkys new to the game simply don't.

Then i apologise for my blunt post.
I just assumed that experienced sparks such as yourself would not be fazed by a relatively minor issue.

My mentor once told me to go change a 2g2w and that he had isolated the circuit so off I went. As I was loosening the cables he crept up behind me and screamed BANG right in my ear, when I asked him why he did that he asked me how I knew there were not 2 circuits at that switch and how I knew one or both were isolated, lesson learned, never trust anyone or anything when they tell you it's dead.
I've since done exactly the same with both of my sons

The op is a subby and should either do as told and label it or just ask his superior the question the company must 1st fix like this and label the back of the switch, or the customer doesn't want switches next to switches

Although i must say that i never said i would do it this way nor advised anyone to put 2 circuits in 1 box did i ?

Growler I think you have mis understood what you have been asked to do, I've just re read your issue and I don't think your being asked to put 2 circuits in 1 grid box. "I maybe wrong here"

Then i apologise for my blunt post.
I just assumed that experienced sparks such as yourself would not be fazed by a relatively minor issue.

biff, after 15 odd years in industry I have seen things that would make a lot of domestic sparks' hair curl, so no, 2 supplies in 1 box does not faze me. :)
My post was simply to point out that it is now considered bad practice (however common), and against regs, to have 2 separately isolated supplies in one box unless labelled as such. I offered a solution which would work well, whilst maintaining upstairs and downstairs lighting on their own circuits. The other obvious solution is the one stu suggested.

Better that than a funeral though mate?

hence my ocd,were always told test,test,test,but sometimes you test again to be sure,if know one said it youd do your test and crack on,but these days co's have to cover their backs,so if you tested 9 times they say do 10 to make sure..

Im currently in the process of 1st fixing a load of flats for a company as a subby. ive been told to do a kitchen appliance ring on a grid switch and also a radial for a microwave off the same grid switch. Also there is a heat recovery system and they want the boost switches as part of the light switches. Usually i would do a seperate spur for a microwave and have the boost switches seperate next to the light switches. Im just concerned it wont be obvious that there is actually two seperate circuits in the grid / light switches. Seems like bad practice to me !
Your thoughts would be appreciated !

As the Consumer unit will be labelled, the EIC will be filled out, and the switches could be labelled also, and use a numbered cable marker at the switch point and consumer unit, I can't see there being much of a problem.
Any spark at a later date should carry out safe isolation, if they don't then thats their problem if they get a belt from it.

Sedgy does raise a good point though Guitarist.
Its common practice to have multi switch feeds in commercial installs , impossible to light up say an open plan office with just 1 circuit at a grid switch.

But to answer your question , well you cant can you ?
As its only a house with only 2 lighting circuits its not going to be that difficult to isolate both so i wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

And as to the claim of "bad practice" , i call bullcrap on that.
If you follow proper safe isolation proceedures then it doesnt matter if theres 4 circuits in the switch box , there will be no risk.
Folk just dont like being faced with something out of the norm.

Although i must say that i never said i would do it this way nor advised anyone to put 2 circuits in 1 box did i ?

Its common practice to have multi switch feeds in commercial installs , impossible to light up say an open plan office with just 1 circuit at a grid switch.

Man I'm all over the place now.....So do you agree or not?

I find it difficult to be told on a new domestic installation, where ground and 1st floor lights are on seperate cct's, it's bad practice to put both switch wires into one back box.

So on a new build / rewire, should put two seperate 1-gang switches in? Different phases 415v then i'm with you, upstairs down stairs lights, non-sense.

If your stupid enough to remove the switch and start disconnecting without testing, then you deserve to dance the 240 tango!

Sedgy does raise a good point though Guitarist.

Quite agree biff. I think the main difference here is that in a commercial/industrial environment, the electrics will only be touched by qualified electricians (on the whole), whereas in domestic there is quite a lot of "looking after the stupid" going on. It's quite common for Mr Smith to take his light switch off and fit a new plate, whereas how many factory workers would even touch the electrics?
Great Britain (unfortunately in my opinion) has all its H&S set up to "prevent" people from doing stupid things such as falling down holes, whereas most Nations are set up to "warn" people, hence my stance on what is considered by the regs as "bad practice" (however common).
Please remember, I have never said that I agree with all the regs, but I do try to provide a professional opinion on how I interpret them. I wish certain people would understand this and stop giving me abuse.

Reply to mixed circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock