Discuss mortgage retention advice for current installation upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think you need to stop, look hard and plan before you do anything.

And get your "mate" involved, if he exists, because if he does, he and not us is the best person to advise you.

OP: Id be more concerned about the 2.5mm cable going to MCB 1 (60A) for the outside lights than the shower cable.

He doesn't seem too bothered by this - not sure why? Any thoughts OP? Daz

OP: Id be more concerned about the 2.5mm cable going to MCB 1 (60A) for the outside lights than the shower cable.
i know this should be on its own 6A breaker cant see the floodlights drawing 60A if they are 160W thats pretty easy fix could easily go into lighting circuit with main bedroom as not in use at moment anyway and also wont probably have a large load when in use

I think you need to stop, look hard and plan before you do anything.

And get your "mate" involved, if he exists, because if he does, he and not us is the best person to advise you.

you know what the sad thing about this forum is... you come on for help, because you are unsure and you are learning and you want others opinions, i have got two mates who have offered one is napit and the other is niceic, it would have been good to have got other opinions of well qualified experienced individuals who dont have there head up there own a**. think about when you started you didnt know everything, you were helped along and you were thrown in the deep end, its a shame that people encourage one another with unsupportive and horrible comments like this. if you dont want to input please move on and let the people who do have a passion for what they do, have there input

you know what the sad thing about this forum is... you come on for help because you unsure you learning and you want guidance, i have got two mates who have offered one is napit and the other is niceic, it would have been good to have got other opinions of well qualified experienced individuals who didnt have there head up there own a**. you know think about when you started you didnt know everything you were helped along and you were thrown in the deep end, its a shame that people encourage one another with unsupportive and horrible comments like this. if you dont want to input please move on and let the people who do have a passion for what they do enjoy helping others.

think you have had a lot of helpful comments here. still waiting for you to let us know if there were any C1s or C2s on your napit mate's EICR. murdoch's post reflects this. if you have an EICR, then why not let us know the outcome?

think you have had a lot of helpful comments here. still waiting for you to let us know if there were any C1s or C2s on your napit mate's EICR. murdoch's post reflects this. if you have an EICR, then why not let us know the outcome?

as soon as i have a copy of the report il photograph it and put it up, should be tomorrow was not given it at the time as was told that if i didnt make the changes it would be down on the report as recommendations and hence would not pass and achieve certification to show as being safe and upto current standards, was also advised that sockets needed to be on rcd. was told to make changes, including a new consumer unit and then have the report completed. so when i was asked that is there are any c1 or c2 i phoned my mate anthony who told me installing the rcd would be a c3 and updating the consumer unit and installing the ip65 lights would also be c3. il have to wait and see now

the lack of RCDs is only a code C3 unless outdoors, as a C3 that means improvement recommended, a bit like an advise on your MOT. does not mean that the installation is unfit for continued use.

you know what the sad thing about this forum is... you come on for help, because you are unsure and you are learning and you want others opinions, i have got two mates who have offered one is napit and the other is niceic, it would have been good to have got other opinions of well qualified experienced individuals who dont have there head up there own a**. think about when you started you didnt know everything, you were helped along and you were thrown in the deep end, its a shame that people encourage one another with unsupportive and horrible comments like this. if you dont want to input please move on and let the people who do have a passion for what they do, have there input

Yup, and I've got a mate who's got 25 years more than me and I still use him, and he uses me for advice - and where necessary we visit each others "jobs" so we can actually look at the jobs first hand.

you know what the sad thing about this forum is... you come on for help.........................sion for what they do, have there input

Get a 'Satisfactory' EICR (ie no C1s or C2s) off your two mates, give it to your mortgage provider, get your ÂŁ20K off their grubby little hands, then work on your installation at your leisure!!!
It's your own house and you're a Trainee Electrician, aware of any risks, go for it!

as for inline fans.....................
crack on mate, so long as you get a large air change rate they work wonderful, dont get wickes own inline as thats just about 45l/m whereas you can splash out and get a full on 140/160 l/m fan that will suck the water straight out the shower and out thru the fan before it even touches you lol.

people do tend to get pedantic on this site, but you have had some good advice, when you get your eicr, look thru it do the required work and for now ignore any C3's, get your dosh from el banko.
encourage your mates to show you or help you to understand where the faults are at the moment.
people on here can only speculate as to the best way forward, but your mates can give you proper informed advice

the lack of RCDs is only a code C3 unless outdoors, as a C3 that means improvement recommended, a bit like an advise on your MOT. does not mean that the installation is unfit for continued use.

thanks, i have spoken to my mate and he is saying the shower not being on rcd and the sockets not being on rcd are definately c3. advice is obviously appreciated, thanks your right it does not make it unfit for continued use

Yup, and I've got a mate who's got 25 years more than me and I still use him, and he uses me for advice - and where necessary we visit each others "jobs" so we can actually look at the jobs first hand.

i will be asking my mates for help and they will be helping me, with whatever work is carried out, but i do appreciate they have there own work and commitments too hence why i am trying to get all the help i can with this

i will be asking my mates for help and they will be helping me, with whatever work is carried out, but i do appreciate they have there own work and commitments too hence why i am trying to get all the help i can with this

We are able to give general advice BUT only seeing a job makes the advice "constructive"

Get a 'Satisfactory' EICR (ie no C1s or C2s) off your two mates, give it to your mortgage provider, get your ÂŁ20K off their grubby little hands, then work on your installation at your leisure!!!
It's your own house and you're a Trainee Electrician, aware of any risks, go for it!

i will be carefull and carry out work under safe isolation and following the best practice possible. i am also going to eventually get all the work done to a good standard inline with current regs but for now the main priority is getting it safe for family and identifying any potential problems

crack on mate, so long as you get a large air change rate they work wonderful, dont get wickes own inline as thats just about 45l/m whereas you can splash out and get a full on 140/160 l/m fan that will suck the water straight out the shower and out thru the fan before it even touches you lol.

people do tend to get pedantic on this site, but you have had some good advice, when you get your eicr, look thru it do the required work and for now ignore any C3's, get your dosh from el banko.
encourage your mates to show you or help you to understand where the faults are at the moment.
people on here can only speculate as to the best way forward, but your mates can give you proper informed advice

thanks for the information on the fans now i know what i am looking for i can just buy something decent straight away. i have had some excellent advice and appreciate everyones input murdoch without a doubt is right that friends are there to be asked and to get help from, i do really appreciate every persons input and am very great full i will keep this post up to date and let you know of any changes that are made to make the installation safer

would this kind of spec fan be ok
AIRFLOW AV100
Airflow Aventa 4 inch inline extractor fan

Specification
Air Extraction : 187m3/hr
Air Extraction L/s : 60 L/s
Noise : 34dB(A)
Watts : 28W

if not are there any brands you can recommend

would this kind of spec fan be ok
AIRFLOW AV100
Airflow Aventa 4 inch inline extractor fan

Specification
Air Extraction : 187m3/hr
Air Extraction L/s : 60 L/s
Noise : 34dB(A)
Watts : 28W

if not are there any brands you can recommend

never fitted one, but my supplier has recommened it to me recently, so id say itll work fine

Reply to mortgage retention advice for current installation upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net