Discuss mortgage retention advice for current installation upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nope, the current BS7671 requirements are not retrospective to a previous complying installation . So all you need is a current cert confirming that the installation is suitable for continued service. eg, No code 1's or 2's!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We use Merlin Gerin Type C60HB's and in the catalogue I have it goes from 50A to 63A

Ah, but that's today's ratings, these are ''Type 2'' breakers rated at the then standard 60A. Were not talking about the newer type B breaker that has been installed for the shower...

Hi. If you took the Amp ratings from MCB’s, I would be well interested to know in circuits 1, 2, 7, 11 and 12, what size of cable they protecting especially for shower 60A, it has to be a hell of a shower and a hell of a cable…..and then cooker 50A, that would be a very powerfull cooker???

Al

if the shower no 7 is 6mm no2 looks to be 6mm too and that leads me to believe breakers 1+11+12 are all 10mm

What's the second cable going in to that 1st breaker? Daz

Ah, but that's today's ratings, these are ''Type 2'' breakers rated at the then standard 60A. Were not talking about the newer type B breaker that has been installed for the shower...

I think im getting confued here.
They may have done 60A in the past but the shower MCB is a 50A type B, hence the B50 under the type C60HB.

Nope, the current BS7671 requirements are not retrospective to a previous complying installation . So all you need is a current cert confirming that the installation is suitable for continued service. eg, No code 1's or 2's!!

could you give me an example of a code 1 or code 2 would that be something like does not conform to IP2X where there is risk of fatality

is it possible to change the shower breaker i have at the moment to an rcbo in the same consumer unit (praying it is possible)

You shouldnt have to. As per Eng54 post 21.

They may have done 60A in the past but the shower MCB is a 50A type B, hence the B50 under the type C60HB.

could you please clarify the significance of the c60hb as none of the other breakers display that its only the shower breaker that says that, is it just a breaker that allows a surge of current when it starts like the current type c thanks

You shouldnt have to. As per Eng54 post 21.

so what am i exactly asking for when my mate comes so i can get this retention removed? just a certificate to sign the current installation off as safe to operate with recommendations for possible improvements (im guessing if it stipulates the recommendations the mortgage company may ask for that work to be carried out before the mortgage retention is removed

You are!! lol!! The MCB type is just that a type, all are agreed now that it's a 50A type B breaker!! All the other breakers in this CU are C45's which are the older type 2 breakers...

I like the Merlin boards, a spark installed that, he even changed the hager breakers to MEM in the 4 way board haha, he must have had it on the van, that merlin board will outlast you, it will last forever, that is an old one though, they have had plastic isolation clips above the MCBs for some years now, I remember that type of board, seen many of them before on council jobs in schools etc.

could you please clarify the significance of the c60hb as none of the other breakers display that its only the shower breaker that says that, is it just a breaker that allows a surge of current when it starts like the current type c thanks

The C60HB is the name of the range of MCB's. The B50 under it states that it is a 50A Type B.

What is mortgage retention?I have never heard of it before

it means you ask the bank for 100k and they say there is alot wrong with house i.e. damp up wall, old electrics old boiler, leaking roof, so they say we will lend you 100k but we holding 20k back cos that is how much money it will take to repair the house to get it into a state to sell it, and( so give you 80k) also go get 20k of someone else and also then spend 20k on the house to get them things fixed we told you were wrong and then we will give you the extra 20k and in the meantime we will charge you interest on the full 100k

- - - Updated - - -

The C60HB is the name of the range of MCB's. The B50 under it states that it is a 50A Type B.

ok so that the name of the range thanks

it means you ask the bank for 100k and they say there is alot wrong with house i.e. damp up wall, old electrics old boiler, leaking roof, so they say we will lend you 100k but we holding 20k back cos that is how much money it will take to repair the house to get it into a state to sell it, and( so give you 80k) also go get 20k of someone else and also then spend 20k on the house to get them things fixed we told you were wrong and then we will give you the extra 20k and in the meantime we will charge you interest on the full 100k

Dont you just love banks...

could you give me an example of a code 1 or code 2 would that be something like does not conform to IP2X where there is risk of fatality
If your 'mate' has done you a condition report he should of listed all the defects and codedthem as c1,c2,c3 or further investigation required. Any c1 or c2 would require work to give you a satisfactory certificate, c3 or FI can be left as is and your installation would comply.

with regards to your breakers, why not just swap those cb's for rcbo's and save yourself a fortune, MG still manufacture those and are readily available. Although I'd suggest you get advice on which size breakers you can use, as 6mm t&e clipped direct cannot be placed on a 50a cb/Rcbo let alone 60a

Reply to mortgage retention advice for current installation upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net