Discuss mortgage retention advice for current installation upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If your 'mate' has done you a condition report he should of listed all the defects and codedthem as c1,c2,c3 or further investigation required. Any c1 or c2 would require work to give you a satisfactory certificate, c3 or FI can be left as is and your installation would comply.

with regards to your breakers, why not just swap those cb's for rcbo's and save yourself a fortune, MG still manufacture those and are readily available. Although I'd suggest you get advice on which size breakers you can use, as 6mm t&e clipped direct cannot be placed on a 50a cb/Rcbo let alone 60a

he has been yesterday and will be back on thursday to complete any paperwork he asked me to do the things like put shower on rcd and lights in bathroom and put a 10mm cable in for the shower while i was carrying out any upgrades and then would complete the condition report.

need to check the o.s.g for the correct reference method and then work out volt drop and make sure the In Ib and design current are correct and suitable for the shower installed it is clipped to the wall and goes straight into the loft accross a beam and down into a double pole switch maximum is 7m

do you think i should put both the socket ring finals on rcbos too? and the bathroom lighting c.b. too (or can i leave that as i was planning on fitting selv lighting in there anyway, guys can anyone help me what are the best fans for bathrooms where the shower is obviously causing alot of damp within the bathroom here have a look i was thinking maybe an inline fan but alot of people say they are rubbish

Last edited by a moderator:
with regards to your breakers, why not just swap those cb's for rcbo's and save yourself a fortune, MG still manufacture those and are readily available. Although I'd suggest you get advice on which size breakers you can use, as 6mm t&e clipped direct cannot be placed on a 50a cb/Rcbo let alone 60a

Think you'll find that MG RCBO's are on the expensive side. ..lol!! Those 60A breakers are sitting on 10mm cables if i'm not mistaken!!

Think you'll find that MG RCBO's are on the expensive side. ..lol!! Those 60A breakers are sitting on 10mm cables if i'm not mistaken!!

im looking the biggest ones i can find are 50A RCBO MG, can you tell me for RCBO do you need seperate nuetral bars like you do on an split twin rcd c.u

Have to put what power rating your shower is, in past posts & ive just missed it?? im having an off day...

im looking the biggest ones i can find are 50A RCBO MG, can you tell me for RCBO do you need seperate nuetral bars like you do on an split twin rcd c.u

guys i have just spoke to my local supplier nbelectrical who have informed me that the highest rcbo that they supply is 45A wylex they dont have any 50A RCBOs so it doesnt look like there would be any other options, as no 1 c.b is 60A supplying a two bedroom house basically i would want that replacement minimum again, considering it has an electric hob with another 6mm cable. the main house electric hob on the cooker 6.0mm has been connected to a fuse spur for the ignition an the gas hob but cable been left in all the way to the d.p switch

From these 2 queries, are you sure you are competent to be doing this? Just a question, not having a go. Daz

* "on rcbos too? and the bathroom lighting c.b. too (can i leave that as i was planning on fitting selv lighting in there anyway?"
* "can you tell me for RCBO do you need seperate nuetral bars like you do on an split twin rcd c.u"

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DPG
What's the second cable going in to that 1st breaker? Daz

it is a feed for the small consumer unit to the right of the main c.u, which is responsible for the ring, that feeds the outside floodlights

so 60A breaker protects 2.5mm2 cable? No good is there, stick in 16A or 20a breaker

From these 2 queries, are you sure you are competent to be doing this? Just a question, not having a go. Daz

* "on rcbos too? and the bathroom lighting c.b. too (can i leave that as i was planning on fitting selv lighting in there anyway?"
* "can you tell me for RCBO do you need seperate nuetral bars like you do on an split twin rcd c.u"

well the rcbo has its own n out so i guess the answer is no you dont (but come on we do all have moments and this is my second year doing electrical i am a formulation chemist by qualification

So why are you trying to fit a 50A or higher MCB/RCBO?
a 45A would be adequate for now but i would in the future like to upgrade the shower to a 10.5kw but if i was going to upgrade the lot now i would put a 10mm cable in and change the pull down d.p to a wall mounted one and also get the correct breaker from the initial installation

So why are you trying to fit a 50A or higher MCB/RCBO?
6mm 47A clipped direct and then voltage drop wouldnt have an advers affect over that distance, so a 45A c.b would be acceptable
8500/230=36.96A so 37A maximum current flowing
on 10.5kw/230=45.65A
10mm cable clipped direct 2c0re 63A 3core is 57A

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont mean this in a sarcastic way, but what is the fascination with people wanting to get a bigger and bigger showers. What is wrong with a 8.5kw?

6mm 47A clipped direct and then voltage drop wouldnt have an advers affect over that distance, so a 45A c.b would be acceptable

Until you want to upgrade your shower to 10.5kw.

I dont mean this in a sarcastic way, but what is the fascination with people wanting to get a bigger and bigger showers. What is wrong with a 8.5kw?

Why anyone would ever need a 10.5KW shower, i will never know!! I'm using a 4.2KW shower over here and it's more than just adequate for a good hot shower!!

Why anyone would ever need a 10.5KW shower, i will never know!! I'm using a 4.2KW shower over here and it's more than just adequate for a good hot shower!!

Maybe they want to re-enact a scene from Rambo, when he is in the police station...

Bet they don't sell many 10.5KW showers in France, where it seems the average domestic supply is limited to 12KVA!! ...lol!! ....It's only the daft British that want to be one better than the Jones next door!!! lol!!

OP: Id be more concerned about the 2.5mm cable going to MCB 1 (60A) for the outside lights than the shower cable.

Reply to mortgage retention advice for current installation upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net