Discuss Moving bathroom water pipes under floorboards - earth bonding req`d?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Rumpel4skin

In my bathroom & toilet I have unsightly hot/cold copper pipes above floor. There is no earth bonding on them.

If I move them to under the floorboards, do I have to have them earth bonded?
Do I have to use a qualified electrician to do them if so?

Thank`s.

Hi Rumpel
Yes they do need bonding and no you dont need to be a spark But might be worth getting a spark/domestic installer out to check other bonding etc.
Hope this helps
Regards
Kung

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey.

It would depend on if they were supplementary bonded elsewhere in the bathroom, if they were then any new joints you made would either have to be electrically continuous i.e dont use plastic pipe when you extend them or, a bonding cable would need to be installed either side of the joint to preserve continuity.

If they're not supp bonded elsewhere then no problem.

Just make sure that your water service and any other services - gas, oil etc are bonded to earth.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn`t any earth bonding anywhere along the pipes in the bathroom or toilet.
I was just going to hide all the copper pipes under floorboards as it`s unsightly etc.

Cheers.

You could always run the pipes in plastic and just bring copper tails up through the floor.

This way you could then check resistance of pipework and put an RCD on the upstairs lighting and any other circuits that are in the bathroom.

That way you SHOULD be able to get rid of the bonding all together.

Also, you shouldnt bond the pipes under the floor unless the clamps are accessible and the location marked on any cert thats issued.

Reply to Moving bathroom water pipes under floorboards - earth bonding req`d?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock