Search the forum,

Discuss NEW circuits into non amm3 DB. ????? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I must add to this thread , when having an extension on residential properties , fire and spread of fire is a major part of the building regs , smoke’s , fire doors , escape routes
So why not introduce ammendmant 3 into this if you are adding new circuits onto an existing DB
Good idea or not ????

There are enough confusing interpretations of what is and what isn't required as it is. Joe Public will spend thousands on a new kitchen but refuse a board upgrade which will cost a few hundred.

We are not the electrical police ............ sure make a suggestion, but don't go round claiming its required, because it sure isn't

There are enough confusing interpretations of what is and what isn't required as it is. Joe Public will spend thousands on a new kitchen but refuse a board upgrade which will cost a few hundred.

We are not the electrical police ............ sure make a suggestion, but don't go round claiming its required, because it sure isn't
Has any of the above quotes ‘ claimed it’s a requirement
Some one quoted ideally yes that’s as near as any one has claimed its required

Personally if it saved just a few lives , it’s a good idea
Yes I’ve twisted the thread a bit agreed
Nothing like an intellectual chat / debate.

No. Daft idea.

As I said, a, polite suggestion normally works for me,
If it’s a daft idea why the amendment , The amendment was introduced because that many house fires were traced back to DB’s
There is no requirement to check tightness of existing terminals in a DB you are adding additional circuits into
So what if ??????
Daft Idea , I think that could be the wrong phrase to amendment 3

I still reckon the money spent on AMD 3,could have been better invested,in quality screwdrivers and a short training film,sent to all concerned :)

You could reduce pollution,and increase road safety,by passing a law,that forbade anyone from driving,the one day every month,that matched the day of their birthday. Who's game? :confused:

Only your work you’ve installed needs to comply with bs 7671 so if installing a new circuit ( could be a shower) why would you be required to say check tightness of the upstairs lighting circuit as an example?
You are responsible for your work only by all means check the tightness of the tails but I fail to see why you should be required to check everything?
It’s not an eicr after all.

I like your your quote , and think it’s good practise , but where do you draw the line on that quote
Do you check every existing connection every time you add a circuit into a DB
Yes I would out of professional pride, not saying it's required but I would do it anyway, 20 minutes at the most.

Consumer units - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/55/consumer-units/index.cfm
DAFT IDEA ??????????

What the IET did was ignore the obvious ......... you never see older wooden and / or metal units up in flames - always the newer FLIMSY carp ............ so to divert attention away from the poor quality products BEAMA conspired with the IET to mandate wrapping their carp products in a bit of metal ............ the bits inside are still pretty rubbish

Talking of the IET, here's their guidance on your question OP;

Consumer units: a brief overview - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/59/consumer-units/index.cfm

I find it tricky to believe that ANYONE whoclaims to work in the industry
Thinks this is a daft idea
Just couldn’t resist it
Think the IET are by passing the real reason CUs are going up in, imo the reason is /was poor installation practices, read what you will into my opinion, I have said this before on many occasions.

Think the IET are by passing the real reason CUs are going up in, imo the reason is /was poor installation practices, read what you will into my opinion, I have said this before on many occasions.
Sorry left out the word "smoke"

Read the threads, personally I think it would be good to add this into regs , regarding extensions and spread of fire , specially when it’s been deemed so important that a big amendment has been introduced about it
So all the latest regs apply with an extension , but to hell with amendment 3 and the spread of fire
As long as the electrician connecting the circuits up can quote the regs off by heart there will be no chance of a fire at the DB

We both work in industrial mate so we are used to ordering metal CU's... (I love you Sprecher Schuh.. :tearsofjoy:)
The problem with domestic CU's is that the quality has gone down in the past years... cost cutting.
Also there are loads more electricians out there, some of whom do not have the competence to do the job properly.
I agree with @Pete999 post #35.

What the IET did was ignore the obvious ......... you never see older wooden and / or metal units up in flames - always the newer FLIMSY carp ............ so to divert attention away from the poor quality products BEAMA conspired with the IET to mandate wrapping their carp products in a bit of metal ............ the bits inside are still pretty rubbish
Yes, the old stuff was built to last, I can't stop saying, the new moduler CU boards are rubbish, only 1 terminal on all connections, bring back solid 2 screw connections on it all, surely they can make such a CU, won't be as flexible as they are at the moment with populating but some compromise is needed.

Another interesting read on the matter , think I’ve exhausted this matter now !!!! It just states the obvious really
There are over twenty million domestic dwellings in the UK and each has an electrical installation, usually with electricity meter and consumer unit arrangement supplying the lighting and power in the dwelling. There are numerous fires in domestic dwellings every year, many due to electrical faults, so Amendment No. 3 to BS 7671, published in 2015, introduced Regulation 421.1.201 to increase the safety of consumer units and similar switchgear. Regulation 421.1.201 comes into force in January 2016. Leon Markwell, Senior Engineer at the IET, writes an overview on what this regulation requires.

Generally, meters and consumer units are not attractive and are consequently hidden from view or placed in out-of-the way locations, such as under the stairs in houses, in garages or outbuildings, or are boxed in and covered. BS 7671 already advises that all electrical installations should be regularly inspected and tested – which sadly does not happen in many domestic dwellings. This lack of inspection and maintenance, coupled with changing electrical loads and load patterns, aging consumer units and a possible lack of adequate ventilation can all lead to overheating of the consumer unit, which could possibly start a fire.

Regulation 421.1.201 has been introduced to require that consumer units and similar switchgear, whether in new installations or where consumer units etc. are being replaced, shall comply with BS EN 61439-3 Low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies. Distribution boards intended to be operated by ordinary persons (DBO) and have their enclosures made of non-combustible material, or be enclosed in an accessible cabinet or enclosure itself made of non-combustible material. At this time there is no specific British Standard definition of what ‘non-combustible’ means, so the only readily non-combustible material that can be currently identified and used to manufacture consumer units and switchgear is steel. Although steel is currently viewed as the only suitable material, manufacturers may identify and propose other materials if these can be shown to be non-combustible.

It is not a requirement that all non-compliant ‘combustible’ consumer units and switchgear must be replaced – instead, an inspection of a domestic dwelling’s electrical installation should be undertaken by a competent person in accordance with the requirements of Chapter 62 of BS 7671 and a decision made as to whether the consumer unit and any associated switchgear are still safe and suitable for their function. Such a decision might be informed by the age, condition and installation circumstances of the domestic dwelling’s electrical installation.

Generally, consumer units etc. under wooden staircases in houses or boxed in in wooden cupboard arrangements may be seen to have a potential risk of fire due to a probable lack of ventilation and the adjacent combustible materials. However, electrical equipment in these areas could have their ventilation improved and a local self-contained smoke detector installed.

Not a great deal of information from the OP on what type of board it is, is it a plastic split load dual rcd or an older wylex rewirable fuse BS 3036 type? a bit more info might get more help.

Reply to NEW circuits into non amm3 DB. ????? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back