Search the forum,

Discuss New toy, Martindale CD1000 Cable Tracer in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I had a read of the manual online before hand and it seems good, apparently it can find a break even in a single conductor to with 40mm.

What I'll do is have a play around with it and maybe make a YouTube video of me using it so you can see how it works, I'll probably andy ever use it, but it's invaluable when you use it.

The bloke from test meter said the DI log version and cls2080 I think he said, they get quite a few of them back and this one is meant to be good. Short of spending significantly more I think this is probably about as good as it gets for the money.

I've only got to fleace a couple of customers / over charge them to pay for it... Just kidding. I like my gadgets, I really could have done with one the other day, at least when the problem crops up again I'll be armed ready, it's always handy, for the people who cover my area, it's useful to know people with certin gadgets as you might need to give them a call to get them to have a look etc to save a lot of wasted time and hassle.

I had a read of the manual online before hand and it seems good, apparently it can find a break even in a single conductor to with 40mm.

What I'll do is have a play around with it and maybe make a YouTube video of me using it so you can see how it works, I'll probably andy ever use it, but it's invaluable when you use it.

Thanks for your order - if you do make a video, can we feature it on the web??

Yeah sure you can, I have loads if videos, well 300 I think if product reviews, had over 1,000,000 hits in total so when I get time I will sort it then let you know.

Hi,

Ok just been having a play with this and I have to say its amazing, worth every penny, got the Mrs to snip the neutral in a bit of twin and earth not the earth or live, just one conductor, so just enough to break it.

Then put it under a mat.

Then i connected the ends as it says, so unused conductors to earth, and into the device, then connected one end to the neutral at the end of the cable, turned the receiver on, moved it around over the mat, then flicked it on to manual mode, within 30 seconds, I had found the exact spot under the carpet where the neutral appear to be cut or not transmitting any further.

What more can I say, its bloody amazing!

Ill be making a video of this basically to demonstrate it, Ill demo this and another function and then let you know, ill do it this week when the mrs and baby goes out so they are not sniggering in the background at me being all dorky!

Anyway, highly recommended, best gadget I have by far!

You know the bloke with the busted neutral, well.. he rang a couple of days ago and I said, I can come on Tuesday is that ok? he said yes thats fine, he said it would like to wait for me to sort it before asking anyone else.

So... this gadget cost getting on for £300, so on the basis I should (blooming well better be able to) be able to sort it, how much should I charge him? Shall I say, lets cover the cost of the new gadget LOL. I don't know how much to say really, If i find it within an hour, I think ill sting him a £100 as i did 3 hours free last week, then if i find it, it will cost him for being a DIYer

Oh I was just thinking, you could even use this to find where ring circuits are open circuited too, which has happened a couple of times where i have done board changes or EICR's etc and need fixing. Should make life easier.

I bought this for a contract I had for social housing work. I come across a fair bit of broken circuits and was so excited when I read the spec of the CD1000. I contacted Martindale and spoke to the sales chap for my area and then bought one. The phrase fool and money is one that comes to mind. Here is the story: It is a great piece of kit providing there are no other circuits in the vicinity. Absolutely everything interferes with it, the telephone cable, the aerial cable, other cables (dead or live). If you turn up the strength you will get interference, if you turn down the strength you get nothing and there is no in between. Yes you can find the break if there is nothing else within half a meter of detector. In real life, it is a useless piece of kit. I used an old £20 wand I had and found the break after about 2 hours of fluffing about with the Martindale. Since I can’t send it back, I am keeping it for that one in thousand chance where in an industrial setting I will get a single run with nothing else close by. I am so disappointed with Martindale that they have lost me as a customer.

The CD1000 is a time saving solution for cable fault location and circuit identification purposes so it's disappointing to hear that a customer is not satisfied. I recommend that you call Martindale technical support who will be able to assist you.

The CD1000 is a time saving solution for cable fault location and circuit identification purposes so it's disappointing to hear that a customer is not satisfied. I recommend that you call Martindale technical support who will be able to assist you.
...with a refund?!

Being an owner of one and one who knows how to use it competently , I would suggest you read the instructions fully then have another go. It's worth its weight in gold and can only assume you are usung it incorrectly.

Reply to New toy, Martindale CD1000 Cable Tracer in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back