Discuss Nissan Pathfinder no horn faulty clock spring? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

poke708

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I trying to figure what is wrong with horn on this car. Its 2022 Pathfinder. Horn works when i ground connector 30 pin 10 (connector that goes to clock spring). In steering column green wire that goes to air bag does not have any voltage. I also checked there is no continuity between pin 10 on connector 30 and connector 149 pin 24 (connector going to steering wheel and all accessories).
I have original clock spring and new one that i just got from the dealer. On both no continuity between those pins.
I am attaching diagram and connectors pin out. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know.
Thank you
Nissan Pathfinder no horn faulty clock spring? 1679714101005 - EletriciansForums.net

Nissan Pathfinder no horn faulty clock spring? 1679714125493 - EletriciansForums.netNissan Pathfinder no horn faulty clock spring? 1679714136016 - EletriciansForums.net

If it’s only a 2022 model, then isn’t there still a valid warranty?

I know it’s good to understand what causes problems, learn new things just in case it happens further down the line…. But don’t go too far as to invalidate the warranty by pulling the car to bits.

If it’s only a 2022 model, then isn’t there still a valid warranty?

I know it’s good to understand what causes problems, learn new things just in case it happens further down the line…. But don’t go too far as to invalidate the warranty by pulling the car to bits.

Unless it's an accident damaged one where the airbag has gone off.

Given grounding connector 30 pin 10 makes the horn work, and replacing the spiral cable hasn't made any difference, that rather implies that the horn button itself is not working or has lost its ground connection?

or maybe not, I'm confused over the pins now too! What does the ** on M149 refer to?

Have you checked for continuity between pin 10 and any other pin on the clock spring and also pin 24 and any other pin on the clock spring.

The fact that both the old and new clock spring don't have continuity on those pins suggests to me the diagram isn't correct for the vehicle and the pin connections may have been changed.

Just for clarification, I did look for continuity on other pins (nothing). I think clock spring is bad. I already send email and left message at the dealer.
Just wondering. Does anyone knows how the clock spring looks inside and how does it work? does is have some kind of ribbon or more like small tracs where other part has some kind of spring brush that make contact (would be a lot of tracks, in my case it would need around 20 connections.

No brushes involved with a clock spring - that was the technology used for the horn connection pre air bags. 'Clock spring ' is essentially a ribbon cable wound into a spiral.
Check for continuity between pin 24 and earth when the horn button is pushed (and open circuit when it isn't.)

Given grounding connector 30 pin 10 makes the horn work, and replacing the spiral cable hasn't made any difference, that rather implies that the horn button itself is not working or has lost its ground connection?

or maybe not, I'm confused over the pins now too! What does the ** on M149 refer to?
It maybe depends on fitted options that 2 types of clock spring exist ?

Just for clarification, I did look for continuity on other pins (nothing). I think clock spring is bad. I already send email and left message at the dealer.
Just wondering. Does anyone knows how the clock spring looks inside and how does it work? does is have some kind of ribbon or more like small tracs where other part has some kind of spring brush that make contact (would be a lot of tracks, in my case it would need around 20 connections.
You should be able to continuity test the ribbon.

It's more than likely to be either the ground or the switch.
It would be rare, especially in a vehicle of that age, to just be a break in one track of the ribbon as I assume nothing else is affected.

Reply to Nissan Pathfinder no horn faulty clock spring? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock