Currently reading:
PAT Testing Course - Which One Is Required

Discuss PAT Testing Course - Which One Is Required in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Emm Eff

I'm looking to go through all the testing and inspection courses and get fully trained up. The first one I want to do is the PAT testing course. My aim is to provide the service to small businesses in my area.

Would I be right in saying the 2377-22 course is the only one I need to provide the service?

Actually, as I would be operating in Scotland, would my SJIB Approved card be all I need? I'll be doing the course regardless, as I'm sure clients would prefer it, but I am just interested in actual requirement.

TIA

2377-22 is the one for Pat testing.. im not sure what the 2377-32 (managerment, sit in a chair!!) one is about

It is a VERY Flooded Market tho, i got turned down for a job just doing the paper work for Pat testing due to having 2377-22
and wouldnt let me pat test as i have no experiance

The machines cost a bit, too.. Look at some of the places around that do PAT testing, and their costs, your aim is for Small Busines reall Chip shops, sandwich shops etc etc..

I dont know if places that have White Goods in Funchered house need to be tested really, the wiring should be (to let)
chairity shops need to do it on goods they sell, so do it for 1p above cost and get some time in .

It is a simple course to do, I think it cost me 150, i didnt think i would pass as the company i worked for sent a load of guys to do the test and i think only 3/10 pasted (just goes to show that i worked with some THICK gits) i did scream at my manager for not sending me on the course, he said he didnt want to over load me when i was doing my 2330.

I got a 2nd hand seaward PAT1000 tester for £30, got it calibrated and it's as good as new, if you do enough research and practice on your own goods etc, then no need for paying for a course, I didn't and I'm confident I've learned more myself than I would on any course!

I think Hellmooth has a fair point there.. The Code of Pratice, the course was a bit RUSHED (in out and qualified)

and good deal on that PAT 1000 tester

Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment 4th Edition (4th Edt) (Electrical Regulations): Amazon.co.uk: The IET: 9781849196260: Books
seems a joke price for whats in the book

As this ISNT the FULL Book just exmaples of the pages from the ITE
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r..._5d7_jq-GNYfuRUlA&sig2=gTiC8brt_AfOTYYmGh4mlg

I got a 2nd hand seaward PAT1000 tester for £30, got it calibrated and it's as good as new, if you do enough research and practice on your own goods etc, then no need for paying for a course, I didn't and I'm confident I've learned more myself than I would on any course!

How do you find the demand in your area for the tests? I assume you work for yourself? Even if I splash out for a new unit, I'd still need it calibrated yearly, how much does that cost?

Could you use one of these for Pat Testing and a Clamp meter with a Extention with the earth hanging out so you can measure the Earth leakage with a Clamp Meter

pat_adaptor_3.jpg

[video=youtube;5hL13UjRSoY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hL13UjRSoY[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to go through all the testing and inspection courses and get fully trained up. The first one I want to do is the PAT testing course. My aim is to provide the service to small businesses in my area.

Would I be right in saying the 2377-22 course is the only one I need to provide the service?

Actually, as I would be operating in Scotland, would my SJIB Approved card be all I need? I'll be doing the course regardless, as I'm sure clients would prefer it, but I am just interested in actual requirement.

TIA

As long as you are competent that's all you need

Could you use one of these for Pat Testing and a Clamp meter with a Extention with the earth hanging out so you can measure the Earth leakage with a Clamp Meter

pat_adaptor_3.jpg

[video=youtube;5hL13UjRSoY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hL13UjRSoY[/video]

I've got the Pat adaptor and used it with my mft, it isn't any good really, a mft doesn't have the correct currents settings needed for some of the test! It's ok for insulation resistance and checking for earth continuity but I wouldn't bother with it, and definitely wouldn't look good in front of customers!

How do you find the demand in your area for the tests? I assume you work for yourself? Even if I splash out for a new unit, I'd still need it calibrated yearly, how much does that cost?

Advertising for it would be the best way, I don't advertise for PAT, I do work for estate agents and carry it out when needed! Just a normal calibration fee really, mine was £38 plus VAT!

Yes I work for myself!

Advertising for it would be the best way, I don't advertise for PAT, I do work for estate agents and carry it out when needed! Just a normal calibration fee really, mine was £38 plus VAT!

Yes I work for myself!

Appreciate the help, Hellmooth.

I've been looking around for a tester, and without any PAT experience I'm wondering if I'm in danger of buying something that's more gimmicks than practical.

If you get the time to suggest a tester, that'd be great... else I'll just opt for something in the middle as far as price is concerned.

** Edit : It seems I can't post links? **

Anyway,
Thanks again, guys.

No problem!

It depends how much you are willing to spend, and how much work you think you'll carry out!

Check out testmeter.co.uk they're forum sponsors!

As I don't do a lot of testing, I didn't need to log results so just do it by hand! If you're testing a lot of appliances then being able to log results and download later may be of use?

I'd have a think about what you are going to require and have a read online, just search PAT and you
l find a lot of info!

Reply to PAT Testing Course - Which One Is Required in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock