Currently reading:
Pir Outside lighting

Discuss Pir Outside lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lee1002

I have been wondering how would you wire outside lights which were pir operated and also have switches to turn them on.
any advice would be very welcome

thanks

alot of pir lights have a manual overide built in, you just operate the switch a couple of times in quick sucsession to bring the light on

Hi Lee,
i would bring your brown, blue and earth from the light into a light switch.
Then I would bring in the supply for the light in to the switch as well.
I would put the brown from the light into the L1 of the switch (with brown sleeving to mark it as a switch).
Then put the brown from your supply into the common side of the switch.
Put the blues (neutral) into a connector block inside the housing of the switch.
If the housing of the switch is a metal one, there should be a screw where you can put the earths into. If its a plastic one, put the earths into a connector block.

Now you can use the switch to turn on the pir light and if you read the instructions, it may state that if you turn on the switch on /off / on once or twice, the light stays on. You may need to switch it off for 20sec after this in order for it to return into pir mode.

REMEMBER though, check the manufacturors instructions, CHECK that you have the correct ampage for the light from wherever your supply is coming from..

thanks sav. is it possible to do it with a three core to the light switch so that you do not have to switch the light switch on and off repeatedly ?

Reply to Pir Outside lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock