Discuss Swapping switched outside light for PIR type in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

u0362565

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have an outside light that is turned on with a switch from inside and would like to change it to a PIR version incorporating an option for the light to be on with the switch i.e. override the PIR or just use the PIR sensor. What will the switch do by default if i connect a light with a PIR, Will it just isolate the light when off and therefore the light will not come on at all? Does this require a specific light type or is just how its wired that matters? And what would be needed?

Thanks for the help

TL;DR
Test
Hi there,

I have an outside light that is turned on with a switch from inside and would like to change it to a PIR version incorporating an option for the light to be on with the switch i.e. override the PIR or just use the PIR sensor.
There was a thread on here some time ago:
What will the switch do by default if i connect a light with a PIR, Will it just isolate the light when off and therefore the light will not come on at all?
yes
Does this require a specific light type or is just how its wired that matters? And what would be needed?
You could buy a PIR sensor and connect it up to your existing light
You could buy a PIR lamp with integrated sensor which is designed to be overridden with a switch.
You could do it with a dual gang switch, which would allow you to turn the whole setup on and off with one switch, and with the other switch override the PIR So the lamp is permanently on.
If you Google you will find circuits for all these options on the web!

Many outside wall lights now come prewired with a just a 3 core cable. Overriding the built in PIR sensor would be impossible without some dismantling of the light (which is probably not designed to be dismantled). You would also need an extra wire from the switch to do what you want.

Although many such lights come with an override-on function which you set by switching the light switch on and off a couple of times.

Another option would be to change the light to a smart light, controllable by Bluetooth or WiFi.

I'm reminded by Loz there are the PIR lights that can be wired in the configuration you already have, and as he says can be made to stay on permanently by flicking the switch 3 times. E.g:
(also available in black and from other suppliers!)

Thanks for the comments all, it sounds like the easiest option is to buy a light which has the manual override facility built in and that way can keep a single switch instead of having multiple. I'll have a shop around, might limit the products I can buy is only thing and cost

Hi there,

I have an outside light that is turned on with a switch from inside and would like to change it to a PIR version incorporating an option for the light to be on with the switch i.e. override the PIR or just use the PIR sensor. What will the switch do by default if i connect a light with a PIR, Will it just isolate the light when off and therefore the light will not come on at all? Does this require a specific light type or is just how its wired that matters? And what would be needed?

Thanks for the help
Hi have you got the intstructions too light as some do what your asking by switching the power on off on in quick succession

One other option! A PIR sensor with override function built-in, which can feed the light of your choice, or your existing light.
Other models available - just an example:

One other option! A PIR sensor with override function built-in, which can feed the light of your choice, or your existing light.
Other models available - just an example:
A good idea, but probably best to get one rated for outdoor use. This one is only IP20.
Also it would not work well with a light that has a built in sensor, just something to bear in mind.

Reply to Swapping switched outside light for PIR type in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net