Currently reading:
PME supply

Discuss PME supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Oh dear......not this old chestnut back from the grave.

ElectricalAsh......Have a look in bs7671 and see where it says you cant use a PME supply for an outbuilding...it says no such thing.
The reason sometimes it pays to TT such an installation is that if there are extraneous CP's which will require main bonding PME regs apply...ie-minimum 10mm back to the MET. If the shed is fed in 4.0mm SWA for example this may mean a separate 10mm g/y would be required back to the MET...not really practical. It may be simpler to separate and TT the shed. If there are no ECP's it would always be preferable to use the PME earth if available.

Western power have installed a new 3 phase supply and have said that they can't provide PME as it is within a metal shed. So have provided a TT supply. I can't see a problem with a PME supply so wondered if anyone new the reason? It is not another question about exporting a PME to an outbuilding as you say that has been covered many times before.

Well they are the suppliers, if they won't provide it even if there is no reason within the BGB then you will have to live with it, I may check the BGB out later myself to see if there is a reason why not, Can't think of a reason why it's a problem as yet, however there may be a rule which you may be able to challenge them or not about this, But it is Saturday night and probably won't put it first priority on my list.

Well it's more like a unit about 50m x 50m the customer has had the supply moved from his house into the unit as he is knocking the house down. When I ask the guy installing the cutout if they would be supplying an earth he said they can't PME as its within a metal shed. They have also brought a separate earthing conductor into the cutout. Just seemed strange.

Western power have installed a new 3 phase supply and have said that they can't provide PME as it is within a metal shed. So have provided a TT supply. I can't see a problem with a PME supply so wondered if anyone new the reason? It is not another question about exporting a PME to an outbuilding as you say that has been covered many times before.

TBH it would have been helpful if that info was in the OP......Like you I'm stumped as to their reasoning....as most industrial units are in effect big metal sheds,and they all get PME supplies.

Well it's more like a unit about 50m x 50m the customer has had the supply moved from his house into the unit as he is knocking the house down. When I ask the guy installing the cutout if they would be supplying an earth he said they can't PME as its within a metal shed. They have also brought a separate earthing conductor into the cutout. Just seemed strange.

How many supplies to the unit?

Any other units?

Does the house still have a supply, any shared services?

As wirepuller stated, the majority of small to medium industrial/commercial units built today are steel framed and clad structures, that seem to have no problem being supplied by the DNO's with PME single and 3 phase supplies... Even if it was a special industrial unit, the DNO can provide a sudo TN-S supply derived from a PME network.

Might be worth getting in touch with the DNO Area Manager to find out the reasoning!!

Instead of taking note of the jobsworth who installed the head, talk to Western Power. In other words speak to the organ ginder.

Western Power can be a pain in the whatsits. Have you got the number of the local office? If you have phone them direct. The guys in the office are usually switched on, it's the central number and some of the jobsworths that come out that need a kick.

Reply to PME supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back