Discuss PME Supply Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon All,

Just pricing up a job and thought I'd pick your brains.

Quick run-down, Block of Flats with an underground car park. In the mains room each individual flat has a supply ran up to the flat (picture for reference) with a split concentric. The PME connection is provided within the flat via a connection at a Solid Link Fuse (typical house service fuse block) via the N.

So I need to install a sub mains next to the fuse in the mains cupboard (downstairs) supplying a socket for a hybrid car within the underground car park. My question is can I supply the submains with a TNCS supply via the Henley Block or a link within the Consumer Unit itself, or will I have to contact the DNO directly to provide me with a connection? Not something I have had to deal with before. I have noticed that other contractors have done the same but was unsure if it is the correct way to do it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240111_151455.jpg
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 54
The Ryefield Board is in another room yes, there is a small cu next to the cut out.
Put a diagram on here so that we can work it out.
Please forgive my crude attempt lol
That small CU next on the adjacent fuse must have linked N+E within the CU as there are only the L+N tails entering and SWA leaving

Attachments

• 20240206_170218.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 41
What with the drunk drawing or drunk kid
Doing it.
Just reading some regs and need to make sure I am not misinterpreting it. If a ran an earth back to the earth bar by the Ryefield board, would I not be contradicting 543.4.3? And in that case would I link CPC to Neutral at the Henley block in the mains room (as it seems other have done) as to not contradict it?

Lots of confusion here it seems.

That looks to me like a block of flats which had it's electricity supplies installed by a regional electricity board in the days when they existed and before anyone realised that distributing PME internally in a building is a very bad idea.

These days the individual services to each flat would be TNS with only the incoming main possibly being TNCS.

So what you have there is a concentric/CNE (combined neutral and earth) cable coming in to the cutout, then the meter and outgoing from that another CNE cable coming out of there and presumably going to a redhead isolation link in the flat.

In this arrangement the consumers supply terminals are at the outgoing side of the redhead isolation link and not at the meter as they would normally be.

So the consumers installation begins and the flat and everything before that is the property of the DNO, except the DNOs have washed their hands of internal wiring a n blocks of flats and it magically became the property/problem of the BNO (which may not even exist for the building)

Reply to PME Supply Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net