Currently reading:
Quick question about 17th edition

Discuss Quick question about 17th edition in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DanSwift1988

I've just received my NVQ3 and passed my AM2 and all that jazz, out of interest I've been looking up jobs and they ALL seem to state '17th edition wiring regs cert' as an essential. Now my question is, because I trained/served my apprenticeship under the 17th does this apply to me? I mean I can understand when the 18th comes out I will need to do a refresher then but for now I don't see why I should have to pay to get a certificate when that is the only version I've ever known/been trained to.

Would a potential employer understand this I wonder.

No

You will need to go and sit the course, i had this exact same problem back when i finished my apprenticeship

PS . its a really easy course, basically showing you how to READ the book and reference to certain points

I'm not too bothered about how hard it is, it's just the cost, but I suppose if it makes me more employable it can't be a bad thing!

I'm just finalising my ECS application, Gold card here I come :)

You might get knocked back on the gold card because you dont have any form of regulations qualification

JIB are fools, they will more than likely send out a adult trainee card, and once you passed 17th you would have to pay again to renew to Gold card

I could be wrong but i have had stupid experiences and endless phonecalls with these idiots, also if you search the forum im sure you will find many others who have had the same problem

Good luck with it, but id definatly go for the 17th edition, every job advert i see for sparks asks for it, and if you wait until you have passed it before you apply for JIB card, it will get printed on the back along with your NVQ3 and other relevant quals

just do the exam its an open book exam and some colleges will let you do just the exam. finished work at 6 did exam at 7 at leeds college about 65squid (lad i went with failed and did it again 3 week later for 1/2 price
As said above most jobs specify 17 edition before anything else.

I've just received my NVQ3 and passed my AM2 and all that jazz, out of interest I've been looking up jobs and they ALL seem to state '17th edition wiring regs cert' as an essential. Now my question is, because I trained/served my apprenticeship under the 17th does this apply to me? I mean I can understand when the 18th comes out I will need to do a refresher then but for now I don't see why I should have to pay to get a certificate when that is the only version I've ever known/been trained to.

Would a potential employer understand this I wonde
r.
I did yes, you trained under the 17th so you cannot be 15th or 16th can you?

There is absolutely no need to do a 17th edition exam. You are already deemed to be in possession of this knowledge having just completed your NVQ. Do not waste any money on a regs course or exam. Any decent employer will understand this.

Apply for your JIB card and you will be graded as electrician. You do not require the 17th edition exam or for that matter the health and safety exam to gain this card as the H&S sections you covered in your NVQ are sufficient.

Reply to Quick question about 17th edition in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back