Discuss rcd for fixed outside equipment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

alexp78

Do fixed outside devices such as floodlights (high up and out of reach) need RCD protection? Assuming cables are surface mounted (no cables buried in plaster,etc).

Are there any other conditions, such as:

- only one light per unprotected MCB, or multiples allowed?
- any other fused switch allowed to be installed after the CU?
- any labelling or marking required?

It seems that there is better overall protection afforded by actually having the lights working reliably when unattended deterring intruders, rather than catering for someone going up a ladder and forgetting to turn of the power!

Thanks.
alexp78

---
"Health and Safety gone Mad Cow"

Hi

If its outside it needs an RCD follow that and you wont go far wrong. If your wiring is outside it will need to be covered as the sun will takes its toll on the cable. Height of lights does not matter believe it or not the protective device fuse, mcb rcd etc is to protect the cable not the appliance.

Your lights need to have a minimum IP rating of 33 if I remember correctly. No labels required.

Any switch I would put inside if required are you intending to have the lights switch on when movement is detected and have an over ride so that you can switch them on when you want.

Chris

Do fixed outside devices such as floodlights (high up and out of reach) need RCD protection? Assuming cables are surface mounted (no cables buried in plaster,etc).

Are there any other conditions, such as:

- only one light per unprotected MCB, or multiples allowed?
- any other fused switch allowed to be installed after the CU?
- any labelling or marking required?

It seems that there is better overall protection afforded by actually having the lights working reliably when unattended deterring intruders, rather than catering for someone going up a ladder and forgetting to turn of the power!

Thanks.
alexp78

---
"Health and Safety gone Mad Cow"

No rcd required using stated routing of cable unless it is a TT supply
It depends on the cable size/load/mcb/voltage drop/routing etc, one light or multiples of lights is irrelevant
The lights may or may not have fused switch It may be convieniant for isolation of the lights
Labelling or marking at the consumer unit, at the relevant mcb
Wire it via a pir for security,but also via a fused spur for local isolation when required

Last edited:
OK, thanks.

But I've got one vote for and another against the requiement for RCD.

I'm thinking that as the protection is for the cable, then as no cables are buried, no rcd is required.

However, isn't there a requirement that there is only one circuit to qualify for no rcd? So if one 30A MCB fed several 5A fused switched spurs for local control and isolation of multiple lights...? You get the question. If it was a socket I believe you can only have one, labelled for example "freezer only".

Thanks.

Reply to rcd for fixed outside equipment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock