Search the forum,

Discuss RCD inspection and testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lewrssll

Hi Guys,
I am currently working for a major gym group and employed as building services manager but I am not a sparky. I am electrically trained to SVQ level 3 and HNC qualified but didn't do a recognised apprenticeship in electrical engineering. I am 17th edition qualified.

My question is that my manager has requested that I do the whole RCD testing on my site which has 366 circuits. Of which I have been requested not to do the lighting circuits as they are not at hand reach where someone would be electricuted but have to do the x1 and x5 tests and Zs on all the sockets that are in the club.

I take it that I am not qualified to do this as this would mean that it would totally undermine the whole part P qualification... my manager says that I am compitent since he showed me how to do 20 circuits....

what is the wording of the law???

I know thats a bit long winded and that but I have to be sure.

cheers
lewis

Hi Guys,
I am currently working for a major gym group and employed as building services manager but I am not a sparky. I am electrically trained to SVQ level 3 and HNC qualified but didn't do a recognised apprenticeship in electrical engineering. I am 17th edition qualified.

My question is that my manager has requested that I do the whole RCD testing on my site which has 366 circuits. Of which I have been requested not to do the lighting circuits as they are not at hand reach where someone would be electricuted but have to do the x1 and x5 tests and Zs on all the sockets that are in the club.

I take it that I am not qualified to do this as this would mean that it would totally undermine the whole part P qualification... my manager says that I am compitent since he showed me how to do 20 circuits....

cheers
lewis

Ok part P only applies to domestic premises so would not be needed in your situation.

No formal qualifications are needed for inspection & testing just competance.

Only you can decide if you are competent not your manager.

just need to be competant. only if you altering circuits part p would come in to play, dont even think part p comes into play outside domestic

I am not competant though. was told about it and shown a few months ago but im sure after I have done 1 it would be like riding a bike. I just don't want to be 3 months down the line and find out someone is electricuted and find an RCD didn't trip in time or that....

thanks for the very quick reply and advice.

lewis

Then you need to explain your concerns to your manager and tell him that you do not feel that you are competant to carry out the work.

He should then give you further instruction and then supervise you in action untill you feel that you are competant.

agree. take a bit of time till you are confident in your competence to do this testing. see if your firm will put you through 2391.

what tester do you have? is it a megger?
use a plug top lead and plug it in a socket thats protected by an rcd

5 TESTS

1. do a half times test to make sure it trips over 15mA
2. test x1 @ 0 degrees
3. test x1 @180 degrees
4. test x5 @0 degrees
5. test x5 @180 degrees

it should trip within 300 mS (milli seconds) with the x1 tests and 40ms at the x5 tests
if it tests within these times it functions correctly
also push button for mechanical operation.

Hi Guys,

cheers
lewis

Unusual one this, technically I supopose you can be shown how to do the RCD and Zs tests with a plug-in BS 1363 test lead but who then interprets the results of the tests?

Is this a 'continuous maintenance' exercise to negate the need for 5-yearly periodic inspection?

push button test as in throw the switch on the rcd and confirm no voltage on the load side. and the tool im using is a martindale vr2200

What is the purpose of the testing? are the results going on a certificate requiring a signature?

The testing of the sockets will actually be very straight forward and require no disassembly. The rcd test results are very straight forward and do not really require any interpretation - it will obviously be a pass or fail. Collecting the Zs results from sockets will also be very straight forward but the results will require more interpretation depending on the size an nature of the protective device and application of the rule of thumb to the values in BS7671.

Results are as they are at that point in time - it does not mean that they are like that 6 months down the line - if you know what i mean. As long as they have been interpreted correctly when they have been taken you are ok. Maybe you could collect results and someone else could interpret them or at least give you a refresher on how to do it.

push button test as in throw the switch on the rcd and confirm no voltage on the load side. and the tool im using is a martindale vr2200

Is this the only test that you are required to do. ie a functional test of the RCD?

the results are going on a template and then i give them to the manager of Inspection and testing who then works out if its a pass or fail etc but at the same time its just an inhouse thing we do, to make sure that if anything happens to a member/visitor that we can prove that we have done everything as reasonably practicable to ensure safety.

the results are just like an mot. they are as is on the day.

how do you mean no dissasembly? i thought the face would need to come off and put my leads on the line conductors?

Some great advice from the guys there , one thing that springs to my mind is has there been a recent periodic done on the installation , only reason im asking is do you know the ring conditions all readings are satisfactory etc , it is great to see an installation being checked on a regular basis , but if there are some defects on the rings etc open circuits on rings etc it could demine the tests you are carrying out , if a periodic had been carried out at the tests were all ok then great idea makes sense , dont mean to be negative and its just a thought , oh the other test you could to is the ramp test of the RCD to mkae sure its tripping at the required ma rating

if i hit it with a hammer and it breaks within 300mS ( 1lb. hammer ) and within 40mS ( 5lb hammer ) is that a pass?

Reply to RCD inspection and testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock