Discuss RCD Tripping Help !!!!!!!!!!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

paddy1515

Hi

Hope someone can help me with this problem that I am having at the moment.

Sunday morning i woke up to find that all the sockets, combi-boiler and intruder alarm were not working, so i went to my consumer board and noticed my RCD had tripped, I reset it and everything came back on ok, about 4 hours later it tripped again, so I reset again, after a few hours again it tripped.

I went to every socket in the house and took out every appliance and switching all the sockets off. I tested each socket with power on but it didn't trip. I went to work and my partner told me that the power tripped within minutes of a reset now.

When I got home I checked all the MCB's and I left on one MCB for twenty minutes until I found the culprit which was the downstairs socket ring main.

I opened all the sockets and checked the connections which were sound, there was no damage inside any of the sockets.

I decided to swap the 32A MCB's a round to check them but it still tripped the RCD.

So i have moved the MCB to the other buzz bar thats not RCD protected (I know against the Regs) and the power hasn't gone off since, i have reduced the load to the circuit by only leaving essential appliances on

Could someone let me know if they have experianced this problem before and if they know off any solution, is it a faulty MCB or a faulty RCD.

Just to note there was been no changes to any of the circuits before this problem happened it just tripped overnight and has never been the same since.

My, my. The million dollar question!

It could be a number of things.

As you say, possible faulty RCD but unlikely although it does happen.

Suspended floors? If so, possible vermin damage. Outside power/socket on the same circuit?

To be honest, you should employ a competent electrician to carry out a few tests on the circuit to make sure its sound.

Have you actually tried meggering the circuit? :)

Low test on combi-boiler? security lighting taken from ring?

a ramp test on the RCD will sort out if it's that or not very quickly. If not that an ins res test between live and cpc. If not that it's either circuit by circuit, or appliance by appliance. narrow it down in a logical manner and you'll get ther but it can be a bit arduous!! Best of luck!!

Reply to RCD Tripping Help !!!!!!!!!!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock