Discuss Regulations Clarification (ELECSA Assesment) in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As he new board will have 100A main switch should I upgrade the tails between CU and the switch fuse?

I think not as the cable is still protected by the switch fuse?

Im now going along the lines of just needing to upgrade main earth from CU to the earth connector in the enclosure and upgrading bonding to 10mm^2.

I'll check all wiring before I go ahead with the swap so that if there are any issues I can address them before switching over.

Still in shock that council want £164 for me to notify!

Existing tails should be okay, have you checked the fuse? Upgrade bonds and earth to CU, 10.0 is fine.

Will I need to run new tails? If I was going to would running it through the cavity as they are currently but in flexible conduit suffice?

There would be space behind the door to run some trunking with tails in. I could run it in trunking and then drill diagonally into the box...

Will I need to run new tails? If I was going to would running it through the cavity as they are currently but in flexible conduit suffice?

There would be space behind the door to run some trunking with tails in. I could run it in trunking and then drill diagonally into the box...
Putting the tails in some flexible conduit, may prevent damage as you install them. If you can find another way, it would be better IMO

PS you mate needs to get his paintbrush out, or are you having to do that as well!

I could come across and down I trunking then through the wall into trunking for 50mm or so then straight out into enclosure. It wild be less than 3m (much less). I hate the look of trunking and so will my friend. Is it more regs friendly to do it this way?

We are definitely in agreement that if I replace tails I only need to replace to the switch fuse? Similarly wth the main earth to the connector?

PPS and you need to consider how you will run the new tails into new CU, without having to afford RCD protection, i.e. you can't flush them in.

Indeed thus trunking. That would be compliant? (Ugly as sin but compliant).

Hopefully the current tails are long enough in which case I only need to replace the earth conductor for 10mm^2?

We are definitely in agreement that if I replace tails I only need to replace to the switch fuse? Similarly wth the main earth to the connector?
Without the 60amp switchfuse (take it's 60a?), you would have to size the tails to main fuse, 100amp - 25mm tails. Also depends if you mate adds to the swanky new CU you going to install for him in a few years, 10.5kw shower and a hot tub!

Indeed thus trunking. That would be compliant? (Ugly as sin but compliant).QUOTE]

QUOTE]

Nice bit of 50x50mm in the corner behind the door would look okay, floor to ceiling?

Nice bit of 50x50mm in the corner behind the door would look okay, floor to ceiling?

Without the 60amp switchfuse (take it's 60a?), you would have to size the tails to main fuse, 100amp - 25mm tails. Also depends if you mate adds to the swanky new CU you going to install for him in a few years, 10.5kw shower and a hot tub!

The switch fuse is 60A. If I need to run new tails (hopefully not) I'll run 25mm^2 so if upgrades are wanted in a few years that take us above 60A then we can arrange for supply upgrade

The switch fuse is 60A. If I need to run new tails (hopefully not) I'll run 25mm^2 so if upgrades are wanted in a few years that take us above 60A then we can arrange for supply upgrade

Reply to Regulations Clarification (ELECSA Assesment) in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net