Currently reading:
Sexual - Still makes me tingle

Discuss Sexual - Still makes me tingle in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

a1guvner

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Presented with no comment.

Photo 28-04-2013 12 11 31.jpgPhoto 28-04-2013 12 11 44.jpg
Photo 28-04-2013 11 33 21.jpg

Why in the name of god would you use banjos on a metal gland plate?

What purpose would they serve?

The transformer glands are quite adequately earth via the aluminium plate so no need for banjos, the switchgear end is in to an insulated gland plate. Having an earth at both ends would cause circulating currents.

I await your answer with interest.

Read the thread, I already have, it's only what you and the other guy are concluding and suggesting that's what I'm thinking.

the glands would have come with them and I'd have fitted them, personal preference or just habit I suppose.

But to what end? What would be the advantage of fitting them?
It's like glanding an SWA onto galvanised trunking, you wouldn't fit a banjo then would you?

Doing something because it is just habit suggests a lack of thought or understanding of the job in hand.

But to what end? What would be the advantage of fitting them?
It's like glanding an SWA onto galvanised trunking, you wouldn't fit a banjo then would you?

Doing something because it is just habit suggests a lack of thought or understanding of the job in hand.
depends.

i would fit banjos on galv trunking because the connections are din rail connectors in our panels and there is no earth bar so

I'm not suggesting anything.
the glands would have come with them and I'd have fitted them, personal preference or just habit I suppose.
Neat job, Heat shrink would have finished it off nicely.

All I can say is you wouldn’t be on a job with me for very long. Personal preference or force of habit aren’t logical reasons for doing something.

The only time I would run a copper tape jumper between each “gland” was for PILC sweated in to wiping cones. The simple reason being there is a cork gasket between the cone and the box. This would only be done at the transformer end as at the switchgear end they were insulated from each other to stop circulating currents.

Someone else has mentioned the lugs being strained to get them aligned with the terminals. The reason I would reverse the orientation of the lug as shown in the drawing above.

Cleating singles is a subject of it’s own, there are good safety reasons for doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking closely at the first picture I would say the lugs aren't so much misaligned as being the wrong design for the terminal. The reason they are bent is that the shoulder where the palm is joined to the tube is in the way.

It depends, If I am using the SWA as the earth or I cant banjo it the other end of the cable for some reason then I will banjo it to the galv trunking.
I have always been of the opinion that even if you dont technically need it if it is there why not fit it?
Unless of course it means running in 20m of earth single or it would look stupid or out of place but thats a different kettle of fish.

It depends, If I am using the SWA as the earth or I cant banjo it the other end of the cable for some reason then I will banjo it to the galv trunking.
I have always been of the opinion that even if you dont technically need it if it is there why not fit it?
Unless of course it means running in 20m of earth single or it would look stupid or out of place but thats a different kettle of fish.

I don't get it, if you drill teh hole the right size and tighten the locknut properly then that makes a good metal to metal connection so why the banjo?
And what do you do with the banjo, just stick a bolt through it to hold it to the trunking?

Nope, I put a bolt through with a crimped wire attached and run to the nearest earth point.
Doesn't everyone?? :s

The purpose being to ensure it is earthed correctly.
After all you are assuming that the trunking is correctly earthed, which from my experience its not!

I was always taught its good practice.

Just to play devils advocate if you were to install a armoured into a galv trunking do you go and check that every screw and bond is in place? Can you guarantee that nobody has come along and modified it, removed a link? Hell I have seen a few that were not bonded at all!

Like I said for the sake of drilling a 6mm hole (which is the size of a pilot drill for most hole saws) and putting a bolt and crimp on whats the harm?

I agree they are not really needed normally but I can say its there.
Ime sure there used to be a reg that said a SWA had to be banjo's at least one side anyway?

If it is existing trunking and it is not in acceptable condition then I would not be glanding an SWA onto it my installation would not be compliant.
Steel trunking must be effectively earthed in its entirety, if it is not then it does not comply.

Ok I will give you a prime example,

I did some work in a office, The desks had a 2x4 Metal powder coated galv compartment trunking drop to each row going under them, They were fed from a SWA fed from a board half way down the office.

So I linked out each section with a link. So where was I meant to earth it?
I could rely on just the 6mm crimped lugs screwed to each section of the trunking and wired into a socket, But I would rather Banjo the gland as well just to be on the safe side.

At the end of the day I would rather put that extra earth path in as its a doddle to do and doesnt take me any more significant time.
If you dont want to I wont hold it against you :p

Powder coated trunking is a little different, I would be looking at an additional connection to the gland, the same as with a painted surface.
I would use an earth nut or a CMP ciel type gland for preference over a banjo.

My earlier comments have all been about bare metal, apologies if that was not clear.

To be honest I prefer to screw the gland in to a flange coupler and attach that to the trunking with a serrated washer than just attaching the gland straight to the trunking anyways.

Reply to Sexual - Still makes me tingle in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock