Discuss Sexual - Still makes me tingle in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

a1guvner

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Presented with no comment.

Photo 28-04-2013 12 11 31.jpgPhoto 28-04-2013 12 11 44.jpg
Photo 28-04-2013 11 33 21.jpg

Neat job all in all.
But if I had to nitpick something..... :rolleyes:
I think that heat shrink would have made a better job than all those wraps of tape. And did the cables get any support or just left hanging off the glands ?

JESUS!.

Well that's a fire waiting to happen!!!! Steel lockrings round single core cables!! An to add what looks like a steel gland plate!

Not as dangerous but:

Using tape instead of heat shrink. Not incorrect but not professional.

No bracing installed for the cables as they leave the termination box.

I'd be asking for that to be re done. Sorry.

Edit: missed the part about the non ferrous gland plate, the lockrings are still just as bad though.

An as for why the neutral is shorter. At a guess without seeing the make of the Tx, unless you have a 'K' rated transformer the neutral will not be 50% de rated.

Granted with the tape but that was all that was available, lock rings were aluminium along with the gland itself the cables come straight from a duct just out of sight and the ground level gets raised to the same level as the concrete footing, the HV sides cables are installed the same way,
Previous contractor at the other end of the building on the original phase of the build installed exactly the same way, how would you brace the cables?

An as for why the neutral is shorter. At a guess without seeing the make of the Tx, unless you have a 'K' rated transformer the neutral will not be 50% de rated.

Totally with you, strange they specified 2x400mm outgoing as well but change the terminal arrangement

Granted with the tape but that was all that was available, lock rings were aluminium along with the gland itself the cables come straight from a duct just out of sight and the ground level gets raised to the same level as the concrete footing, the HV sides cables are installed the same way,
Previous contractor at the other end of the building on the original phase of the build installed exactly the same way, how would you brace the cables?

I would have suggested a unistrut frame bolted down to the concrete pad to take cleats bolted to zeb nuts. Be a gigantic faff about now they are all in though.

I would have suggested a unistrut frame bolted down to the concrete pad to take cleats bolted to zeb nuts. Be a gigantic faff about now they are all in though.

Could be an option but i believe would look crap in my opinion, the cables are ALU armoured 400mm singles and once installed they do not move at all,
I cant really say ive seen cables on TX being supported down to the ground, i may be wrong, tin hat on, lol

I've see a lot of transformers in my time working on hv equipment and I've never seen or heard of anyone supporting the cables for the 1.5m coming from the ground...

very nice job there mate but all hv sparks 've ever worked with have always used heatshrink on their 300/400/600 singles but each to their ownnd that in my book is a proper job there

I've see a lot of transformers in my time working on hv equipment and I've never seen or heard of anyone supporting the cables for the 1.5m coming from the ground...

very nice job there mate but all hv sparks 've ever worked with have always used heatshrink on their 300/400/600 singles but each to their ownnd that in my book is a proper job there

I have also seen plenty without support but some with, including a couple I worked on which were specced to have support. Just my very limited experience and opinion.

EAE0CFBA-99ED-4FCE-BA7F-CD41C4411B34-8120-000008E99F50D44E_zps8546e2b7.jpg

The last one i installed, don't take many photos so it's the first on I found on my pc.

Didn't realise it was an Al lockring and gland plate set up. I apologise for that.

Think the argument is 50/50 about the clamping the cables down although it gives that professional finish but must agree with everyone else ... heat shrink a must - tape is rough and you rely on the tape gum for the life span of the equipment although it poses not real safety risk a few yrs down the line your tape could be pealing and giving your work a poor reputation to anyone that follows you. Having said that if all your been pulled for is lack of heat shrink and a debatable lack of fixing then I wouldn't fret too much and take the advice on board.

Last edited:

Reply to Sexual - Still makes me tingle in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net