Discuss Soil resistivity in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

laxmi

Hi,
How can I change earth resistance (R) value into soil resistivity (Rho)? Is this formula correct, ⍴ (Rho) = 2πAR (A = Distance between pegs, R = Earth resistance).

Regards,

L.

Hi - this is the simplified eqn for use with the Wenner Method, which to be accurate would need R to be found from using the Wenner layout of probes for current and voltage. But I'm not an expert ...

Soil resistivity IMG_0469 - EletriciansForums.net

Yes agreed, you cannot simply use a 2-wire resistance measurement because that will include the contact resistance of rods / probes. The 4-wire measurement to obtain Rw eliminates this and only measures the resistance resulting from the bulk resistivity of the soil.

Thanks for your information, it was very usefull for me.

Can we not use earth resistance value (R) that is measured from earth electrode test method, to obtain soil resistivity. I have measursed existing earth electrode and value is 80 Ohm.

Does it not give us soil resistivity using formula ⍴ = 2πAR

Your advice will be much appriciated.

Lax

Hi - if I understand correctly you have a measured value for electrode resistance. This will be as accurate as the particularly method allows and different methods will likely lead to different results as some are more accurate than others.

Using that eqn with your electrode resistance result you will get a number, but it is unlikely to accurately represent resistivity as per LN post#3 reasons.

Can I ask why you need resistivity?

Hi,
Thanks for your further assistance.

I am calculating substation earthing system. Existing earthing system was intalled approx 30 years ago. I can go for one for one replacement with similar earthing type but factirs might have changed by this time. And it is also good to know all information before hand.

Please see the formula, in which soil resistivity value is required.

Regards

Soil resistivity IMG_9048.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Soil resistivity IMG_9048.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Got it - GN8 if I'm not mistaken. For your purpose I would recommend you seek out the proper resistivity measurement kit and perhaps read up on their reference BS7430.

Just for fun as its -5C here this morning, I'm imagining I'm on a desert island with this challenge and no kit. I would estimate rho as you propose, design an earthing system using it, instal it, measure R actual, adjust rho in light of this result, design another system with say twice as much surface area, instal it, measure it and confirm R actual was as per design from rho estimate.

Reply to Soil resistivity in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock